Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
beth15478
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2010, 01:58 PM

Wagg Time Complete Chicken Rice And Vegetable

Was looking for a complete meal for my dog and noticed the "wagtime Complete" in the ingredients it says no artificial flavours. In the ingredients it says "meat meal" what does that mean?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by beth15478 View Post
Was looking for a complete meal for my dog and noticed the "wagtime Complete" in the ingredients it says no artificial flavours. In the ingredients it says "meat meal" what does that mean?
It basically means that the water has been removed from the meat. This is a good thing, given that a high percentage of meat consists of water. So, "Meat meal" is actually better than "Fresh chicken" or similar, which won't have had it's water removed.
beth15478
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2010, 02:42 PM
ok. I usually buy wainwrights or wellbeloved which is approx £7 for a 2kg bag but this wagg time is £3 for a 2kg bag so I suppose I was a bit suspicious because of the price difference.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 03:31 PM
wainwrights main ingredient is meat meal followed by rice

Waggs main ingredient is Wheat followed by 'meat meal' then chicken meat meal in smaller quantities

although it states 'no added flavourings' it does contain 'ec additives' and imho if they were the mixed tochepher watsits and not the bad chemicals they would advertise the fact?

In that price range I would prefer to feed harringtons over wagg on the basis its wheat free (although the main ingredient is maize! and it doesnt have any chemicals in it)
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Yes meat meal is with the water removed. Here government regulations limit meat meal to chicken, beef, and lamb. Any other source must be identified.

Most modern dog foods are formulated to be the complete and balanced diet dogs need and can be fed as the dog's complete diet with little or nothing else. So it is unlikely you need to seek out a food with complete in its name.