Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kim645
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2010, 10:58 PM

Yearly boosters

Just wondering what everyone thoughts are on the yeary boosters, my pups haven't long had their first two jags so won't be needed their next boosters until nexf Feb however just wondering what everyones thoughts are on the yearly boosters. Does everyone get these jags? I would say that ours proberly will get them, as I worry that something would happen and they caught something if they didn't get them - would be my luck.
But would like to think what everyone else thinks!
Kim
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 08:37 AM
I think this is one you`ll have to research and make your own decision on. There is a lot of conflicting advice / info and it probably comes down to a risk assessment at the end.
My personal view is that my dogs have the initial vaccinations, and should be protected (as are my children) for many years so the annual booster is a risk to their immune system.
The Lepto one which has a limited life doesn`t actually last a full year anyway, so I don`t see the point.
Good luck with your research.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-04-2010, 09:21 AM
A lot of debate has taken place and sadly most people are swayed by the fact their insurance policies ask for boosters, i think the jury is still out on this one and the financial rewards probably govern some organisations opinions.
I have mine done very year but i have my doubts.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 09:32 AM
I checked with my insurance and i would only not be covered if they caught something that should have been in the jabs

I agree with C&D and I get the puppy ones done
I might get them titer tested in a while to check immunity
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-04-2010, 10:20 AM
I do, but there is good evidence it would be better to check for antibodies and skip the booster if the dog has antibodies. Checking is know as titers.

It is cheaper, quicker, and relatively safe to go ahead with likely unneeded boosters. There are problems at times, even dogs dieing. A few of the people whose dogs have problems become real activists.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 10:52 AM
No I don't I have lost my last 3 dogs to vaccination now at very young ages 4yrs, 4yrs and 7yrs,and I won't pump this stuff into my dog if it doesn't need it and mess up thier immune system again.
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
No I don't I have lost my last 3 dogs to vaccination now at very young ages 4yrs, 4yrs and 7yrs,and I won't pump this stuff into my dog if it doesn't need it and mess up thier immune system again.
Really? Ouch! I feel so bad for you and your dogs that suffered from this! My condolencies.