Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
doberdogmad
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2010, 05:38 AM

Alternative To a Buster Collar

Help - my three year old doberman has now had 3 operations in the last three weeks, 2 caused by him "smashing" his buster collars and breaking open the wound. I have tried the "donut" blow up collar on him but it might just as well not be there as it is not wide enough although the vet assures me it is the correct size and works on other dobies. I have also bought an extremely expensive neck brace type collar in the alleged correct size and he found away around that. Can anybody recommend a collar preferably not a buster type that has worked for their dog. Many thanks
pointyhound
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-04-2010, 07:01 AM
No, but I'll be watching this thread. We always have to extend our dogs buster collars because he's got such long neck he can still get to wounds even with biggest collar.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Where is the wound on the dog? We use soft ecollars (buster collars) here and they work well. They aren't the blow up donut type, they look like buster collars but they are soft and bend, so depending on where the wound is, if would provide a barrier to licking without the pain of the buster collar?

Also, if its on his body, you might try a large t-shirt, knotted at the back.

I'll see if I can find a link to the soft collars I'm talking about.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Comfy cones they are called. Similar to this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Four-Paw.../dp/B000XY7CKE