Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 09:03 AM

I had some horrible news this morning.

Where I walk there is a dirt track, a place where the farmer uses to get to all of his fields, but now it seems to be the source of some happenings on, some people brought it on compulasory purchase, the farmer never knew what was happening until he went to a council meeting and got told the plans, this will have a dramatic effect on his farming, apparently they plan on giving it back to him once they've got all the gravel, but what would be left?

This area has some great scenery, history and wildlife to it, but its all going to be destroyed by some people with money, this area has connections with the second world war, and the Romans amoungst others, things that didn't just affect the local area, but all over Britain things were affected by this, but now its going to be dug up, just because someone wants to and has the money is that right?

Apparently this plan was put forward to another area, a area that has lots of money, but where it was planned for got over turned, and now its planned for here, and it wont be like the first gravel extraction, one that uncovered loads of archological finds, this one is based purely on money, and what happens if more of these things are found? Will they be ruined, broken, history is irreplacable, once its gone its gone, there is also still a air raid shelter up there, what will happen to this?

Right now I don't think that there is anything that can be done, but please keep this area in your thoughts, this area may never be the same again, here is a link to all of the history assocaited of Berinsfield, the area that is going to be dug up is based around a lot of the history aspects.

http://www.berinsfield-pc.gov.uk/Con...NavSideId=2906

The road in question,

A far away shot of the air raid shelter.

Like I said, I don't think anything can be done, but please keep this area in your thoughts, if only for a minute.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Not quite the same but we have had a similar battle here.
Land was to be sold off for building. All the dog walkers and parents of the children who played there fought the case and it was eventually won and the area left as an open space.
Keep fighting I will be thinking of you.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Im pretty sure the only people that can buy on compulsory purchase are the council.

So I would be having a stroll down to there offices and asking what the plans are for it.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Not quite the same but we have had a similar battle here.
Land was to be sold off for building. All the dog walkers and parents of the children who played there fought the case and it was eventually won and the area left as an open space.
Keep fighting I will be thinking of you.
Hopefully we will fight here and get it revoked, I'm also thinking of emailing where I use to work, Tiggys, this area has a thrieving population of red kites, barney the barn owl does well here too, and I've seen glow worms, so maybe the loss of habitat for these animals will be enough to save it, I hope so.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Im pretty sure the only people that can buy on compulsory purchase are the council.

So I would be having a stroll down to there offices and asking what the plans are for it.
I think I will, this proposal hasn't come from our local council, but above them, even the local council have tried to stop it, but have got no where so far it seems like someone really wants to do it there has been banners across one of the main roads, one from Oxford to Reading, which has a website on it to try and stop it, but I never got to read it properly yesterday, and can't find it on google but I think that would also have more info on this on it aswell.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 09:25 AM
It makes me sick when things like this happen. Is there no way to appeal?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Government level?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Maybe? I'll have to look into how to get to that level, the parish council are on our side, they don't want it to happen, so maybe that too will help.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 01:34 PM
This is happening here too, its happening everywhere unfortunately, just outside Canterbury we are having to have thousands more house built as part of the "Thames Gateway" - destroying acres of countryside because the Government says we apparently don't have enough people in this area ! its bo**ocks !
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 09:03 PM
where we live is a big grassy area, used 24/7 by us all. dogwalkers/kids even office workers acrpss the road use it. so we have a campaign going to stop the council from building yet more houses on it.they are after selling it to pay for the olympic rubbish thats taken over our the local park. its got to go to a public enquiry. so hopefully we can get it declared as a village green.
but we was ready to go and find some campaigners. they are more of the direct action type.
i know not much help to you. but it does wind me up when someone with the power and money can just walk over everyones feelings.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 05:47 AM
What a shame......
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >