Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 11:37 PM

Mia update - WTG girl

Yesterday was my agility club show
It is in a indoor horse barn with very close corridors for the dogs to walk along
So I knew that would be too much for Mia so I didnt enter her

But I was walking her around the grounds where the other dogs were being exercised and into the doorway of the venue and in the main she was staying focused

On a couple of occasions she freaked out a little bit but even then was able to correct herself

For example I was playing 'we go into the door, get treats and walk away' game and she was doing great, happy grin, eye contact on me doing some tricks with strange dogs 4 feet away, but when I walked out on one occasion there was a guy coming in with a GSD
She of course started barking and lunging but I called her name and she spun round to me, took a treat, spun back gave a grrrrr then remembered herself and turned back to me for more treats

She did freak a bit at a big terrier type I didnt recognise the breed - but it was strange looking

and another great thing
She is also v reactive in the car to all animals, something I plan to work on but it is difficult because I am the driver!!
But we have been working on being calm around animals on walks and now she seems to have generalised that to sheep - she dosent bark at sheep from the car That is so cool!! Hopefully when she gets calm around other animals then drives in the country will be less earsplitting

Its a long slow road but she is getting so much better!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Sounds like you're doing a great job with Mia.

It is a slow process but every small step in the right direction is a success. Then suddenly you look back & realise that you've actually come quite a long way!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 05:10 PM
You are doing so well Slow but sure.

Would it help to put blinds on the car window. I have seen it done on Me or the Dog. So that she can't see out and get agitated?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys
You are so right you cannot look at things day by day and see progress, its v depressing if you do that
But if I look back to where I was this time last year then the progress is great! I do feel guilty because I know I could have done more and made her happier

I have thought about blinds in the car, at shows I was putting things over the car, although it keeps her calm she isnt learning anything. i am finding parking on the edges of things so she can see and not freak out is helping
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Well done! It seems a hard journey sometimes but "even the snail by perseverance made it to the ark! (one of my favourite quotes!)

Cherry used to be very reactive but now when I look back at what she used to be like and how she behaves now it's like having a different dog!

A huge Rottweiller cross (my husband said it was crossed with a horse!) came up to her 2 days ago and she just sat and ignored it!! Amazing as she doesn't like big dogs as she was attacked by a Rottweiller.

Positive methods really do work long-term.