Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-02-2010, 11:43 AM

2nd Puppy - Help or Hinderance to Training & Behaviour

We have an 11 week old bitch STB, and training is coming along great. The missus wants another STB puppy around about the same age...i have my concerns that this will have a negative impact on how far we've gotten with Missy.

Am i right to think it will have a negative effect? Could there be no effect at all? Could it even have a positive effect?
Would the sex of the new arrival play a part in any changes?

Thanks in advance

Paul
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Two are more difficult than one, get the one under control and to 18mths or so and then get another if you feel you would like one.

Enjoy the one you have----they aren't pups for long.

rune
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Two are more difficult than one, get the one under control and to 18mths or so and then get another if you feel you would like one.

Enjoy the one you have----they aren't pups for long.

rune
This is along the lines of what i've been thinking...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 03:41 PM
I'd agree with Rune.

Puppies are much harder work than people think and getting two at the same time is more likely to be a negative than a positive.

However, having an older, well trained dog as a 'role model' for a puppy is nearly always a major plus, so again, as Rune says, if you wait until your first is out of puppyhood before adding another, you should find it easier with the 2nd pup.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Agree with the above too.

One is hard enough,never mind two LOL.

Also a good point to remember is if you get another they may be fine to start with until they hit maturity,then may start to challenge each other, which can lead to some serious fights as staffords tend not to back down.

Another point is never ever leave two staffords unsupervised together ever.
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Another point is never ever leave two staffords unsupervised together ever.
Really? Hadn't even thought of that and the implications. So that would mean separating when left alone whilst we're at work etc then yes?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 11:29 PM
It can be fine but it is 100 times harder to fix problems in two dogs at the same time if they crop up
Better to enjoy your pup, put the time in to get to know them one at a time, train them up to a great level and then you and the older dog can work as a team to train up the new puppy!

Also if you have two at the same time then they get old together and you have two old dogs with all the expense and heartbreak that entails - if you wait a bit then a pup can bring a new lease of life to an older dog
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Managed to convince the better half to hold off for a while, i think that the extra heartbreak put the final nail into the idea.

Thanks for the replies folks