Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 06:42 AM

Snatching.....

Can anyone please give me some guidance for Mya's snatching behaviour please?

When she has a treat, I can get her to sit, but she is extremely excited - like she's never ever had one before and when I hand it to her, she snatches it out of my hand. Occasionally, she nips (accidentally) at the same time.

I've tried to get her to take it slowly, holding it in my fist for her to see if she will calm down but it doesn't work.

Even when she's sitting for her treat, her paws are "marching" - she cannot sit still.

She's now started "woofing" if she doesn't get it quickly enough, and I really don't want to reward that kind of behaviour.

Any advice gratefully received.....

For info, she is an ex breeding bitch - extremely nervous by nature, who has been with me for almost four years. She will be 7 in October.

Thanks
Dzorc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2010, 07:12 AM
Hello, I will tell you that i have the same problem with the dog I take care( she is my relative`s dog and i spend a lot of time with her). She is 4 year old labrador but she is also really excited when she is getting a treat. Sometimes it happens that I get a scratch or a small bite, which is not intentionally. What i do is, I before I give her the treat, I make her calm down completely, that means no jumping around, barking ur being anxious. Then I tell her Easy girl, and give her the treat. Tip, If you dont want your fingers to be like mine, when you give her the treat dont hold it with the fingers, but have it in your palm, and put down your hand so she can get it.( hope you understand you, because my english is still not that good ) Cheers!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by Dzorc View Post
Hello, I will tell you that i have the same problem with the dog I take care( she is my relative`s dog and i spend a lot of time with her). She is 4 year old labrador but she is also really excited when she is getting a treat. Sometimes it happens that I get a scratch or a small bite, which is not intentionally. What i do is, I before I give her the treat, I make her calm down completely, that means no jumping around, barking ur being anxious. Then I tell her Easy girl, and give her the treat. Tip, If you dont want your fingers to be like mine, when you give her the treat dont hold it with the fingers, but have it in your palm, and put down your hand so she can get it.( hope you understand you, because my english is still not that good ) Cheers!
Your English is just fine

It's the making her calm down I have problems with.......

Dzorc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Use a strong and serious voice, make her think that if she doesnt calm down she is not getting anything, that means no treat and not play, in a way ignore her. Then she should realise that what she does is wrong. But the moment she calms down give her the reward, lots of hugs and kisses . That is a positive dog training, when you ignore a behaviour that you dont like, but try to get the behaviour you like, and what is acceptable.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-02-2010, 07:30 AM
I was going to suggest the palm of the hand too Vicki.

Can't think of much else than what you are already doing to make her calm down. Maybe treats in a treat ball make her work for them and she will have fun too.

The other thing I thought of is holding the treat in your hand with your hand closed around it and let her sniff your hand but not have the treat if she nips take your hand away for a second then put it back and say gently when she does it gently give her the treat from the palm of your hand.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 07:48 AM
I was taught the closed hand method - you hold the treat then close your fist so the dog backs off confused. Praise and open your hand. After a while the dog looks at you for `permission` to take it. Of course you do get the more determined dog who will prise your fingers apart and suck it out.
I`m not sure that would work for training rewards though as you don`t want the gap between action and reward.
One trainer I know used Primula cheese in a tube and squeezed a little out to reward.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 10:27 AM
We say "GENTLY" in a very firm voice-this calms Parker down as he can nip unintentionally as he is very greedy!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Dzorc View Post
Tip, If you dont want your fingers to be like mine, when you give her the treat dont hold it with the fingers, but have it in your palm, and put down your hand so she can get it.
The same as when you feed a horse, put the treat on the palm of the hand and hold it out flat.

Vicki, seems like Mya really enjoys her treats, maybe she's thinking your other dog might get it first bless her
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I teach this as an exercise and brush up on it as needed.

A treat in each hand close hands and let dog try to get treat from one hand as soon as dog backs off I click and treat from other hand
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=Vicki;1898714]Can anyone please give me some guidance for Mya's snatching behaviour please?

When she has a treat, I can get her to sit, but she is extremely excited - like she's never ever had one before and when I hand it to her, she snatches it out of my hand. Occasionally, she nips (accidentally) at the same time.

I've tried to get her to take it slowly, holding it in my fist for her to see if she will calm down but it doesn't work.

Even when she's sitting for her treat, her paws are "marching" - she cannot sit still.

She's now started "woofing" if she doesn't get it quickly enough, and I really don't want to reward that kind of behaviour.

Any advice gratefully received.....

For info, she is an ex breeding bitch - extremely nervous by nature, who has been with me for almost four years. She will be 7 in October.

What I have found works is:
I think I would practice giving her bits and bobs (not necessarily as a reward - just as an exercise in being gentle).
Keep the treat in your hand with your hand closed around it and your hand in your pocket. When you have her calm and sitting watching you, quietly and slowly bring your closed hand out of pocket and then hold it in front of her still closed and palm down. Hopefully she will lick round your hand to try and get the treat. Gradually turn your hand round (still closed) and then let her get to the treat through a semi-open hand. Hopefully, this will make her work for it a bit and she will be gently persistent. I would not take my hand away from her - just keep saying gentle and gradualy give her the treat. Then she will hopefully realise that she has to coax it away from you if she wants to have it. Good luck )
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >