Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 05:20 PM

Is bite inhibtian better in some dogs?

A incident (that was my fault) happened the other day and it made me wonder this. What happened was that me and Honey were playing a high drive game and my attention slipped just for a second, but at that secone she went back for the toy and got my hand, but immediatly let go and stopped the game when I said ow, and waited for me to resume it. Now I have not really done any bite inhibition training with her so it must be from the breeder and littermates (she is 4 now though) but I have seen dogs who have bit their owners in play and not stopped when they have done so but carried on playing. So like everything is it easier for some dogs, and does breed sometimes play a part?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Don't know if it's a breed thing, but I think some dogs are just more aware of what they are doing than others. When I was in my teens we had a little Collie x JRT and I was playing tuggy with her, she went to get a better grip and got my hand. Her tooth was in the pressure point of the back of my hand and she wouldn't let go. It really hurt, but she had no idea she was biting me, dozy girl! All the other dogs I've had have been very aware of what their teeth were doing. My Estrelas won't play tuggy with humans. They play it with each other but as soon as a human touches the toy they release it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Honey were playing a high drive game and my attention slipped just for a second, but at that second she went back for the toy and got my hand, but immediatly let go and stopped

but I have seen dogs who have bit their owners in play and not stopped when they have done so but carried on playing. So like everything is it easier for some dogs, and does breed sometimes play a part?
Hi Chaz are you describing a situation where a dog gets hold of a hand by mistake instead of a toy, this is easily done in the excitement of the moment during a game and the dog is often unaware anything has happened until a persons body language visibly shows distress in the form of facial expression/ making a sound, then the dog reacts accordingly . Chloe occasionally catch my finger when we are playing and she looks very concerned if I express discomfort and rushes to lick me. I would say this scenario doesn't really involve bite inhibition because the dog did not intend to bite.

I associate bite inhibition with a dog intending to bite be it through pain/fear/distress. Where a dog has been taught to inhibit its bite the intended bite should have minimal pressure. .
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Don't know if it's a breed thing, but I think some dogs are just more aware of what they are doing than others. When I was in my teens we had a little Collie x JRT and I was playing tuggy with her, she went to get a better grip and got my hand. Her tooth was in the pressure point of the back of my hand and she wouldn't let go. It really hurt, but she had no idea she was biting me, dozy girl! All the other dogs I've had have been very aware of what their teeth were doing. My Estrelas won't play tuggy with humans. They play it with each other but as soon as a human touches the toy they release it.
Silly dog eh, bless her, and you, your Estrelas sound sweet though.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Chaz are you describing a situation where a dog gets hold of a hand by mistake instead of a toy, this is easily done in the excitement of the moment during a game and the dog is often unaware anything has happened until a persons body language visibly shows distress in the form of facial expression/ making a sound, then the dog reacts accordingly . Chloe occasionally catch my finger when we are playing and she looks very concerned if I express discomfort and rushes to lick me. I would say this scenario doesn't really involve bite inhibition because the dog did not intend to bite.

I associate bite inhibition with a dog intending to bite be it through pain/fear/distress. Where a dog has been taught to inhibit its bite the intended bite should have minimal pressure. .
I always think of bite inhibitian as whenever the dog touches you with its teeth, whether accidental, or intentional, I am extremely lucky with my dogs though, this is the first time that I can remember that Honey has ever bite my hand during play, and the only time that she has ever bitten anyone intenitionally was the vet when she had problems with her ears and it was being checked, but even then she never drew blood and was in a lot of pain bless her.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-03-2010, 05:19 PM
We have had 20 different puppies since 1991, mostly coming to us at 7 weeks. Some of them have been much easier to teach not to bite than others. I think it somewhat goes along with how strong will they are. Some required much stronger leadership than others for everything.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2010, 07:34 PM
I think some dogs are obviously bred for softer mouths ie in retrieving game so they would I think be gentler than say a terrier?
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I think some dogs are obviously bred for softer mouths ie in retrieving game so they would I think be gentler than say a terrier?
Agree with this, my lab is mouthy but ever so gentle. He accidentally nipped me just once when we both went to grab a toy and the same time and he looked really shocked, was pretty funny actually.