Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 10:01 PM

WIRRAL’s postmen get dog lessons after 25 animal attacks since last April

This is my area, so i was wondering if the same thing was happening where you live (postmen having dog lessons i mean)

WIRRAL’s postmen are being given lessons in how to deal with the pets they encounter on their rounds.

The Royal Mail is organising the series of “Dog Awareness Days” after figures showed 25 animal attacks on postmen and women since last April.

Managers say dog attacks are a particular problem during school holidays, when parents and children are at home and animals are allowed unsupervised in the garden or in streets.

Postman Stephen Jafrate, from Wallasey Delivery Office, was bitten on the leg while delivering mail.

He said: “I was in a cul-de-sac when two dogs started barking, growling and circling me and one of them jumped up and bit me on the leg.

“The fear you have when the dog is circling is overwhelming.

“People need to realise that it is not funny when postmen are bitten.

“There are quite a few postmen and women that are being chased and bitten by dogs on a regular basis and they are very shaken.

“No-one should have to face that when they are just doing their job.”
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 11:42 PM
I know a postie who carrys dog treats with him and drops a few on the ground while he goes when loose dogs are about. Apparently the latchkey dogs on his route love to see him coming!

One of my dogs used to just give a bark on seeing the postman, but not particularly bothered. Thanks to our "new" postie things are now very different. They both go mental on seeing him.

He intentionally winds them up by standing at my sitting room window whilst "looking through his mail for my letters". I asked him to stop, but that just made things worse. If he spots me in the room he goes just past the window and stands at the side, apparently sorting post. Enough to still wind the dogs up, but I can't see him. I caught him at it once when I was in the back garden and another time when my sister was in the living room and I was walking up the street coming back from the shop.

He's an evil ******. Hasn't actually done anything wrong as such, but I know if I complain he'd say he felt at risk of being bitten and no longer deliver my stuff (prob whilst still going past winding up the dogs as he goes).

I wonder what training is involved in educating postmen in how to deal with dogs?
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I know a postie who carrys dog treats with him and drops a few on the ground while he goes when loose dogs are about. Apparently the latchkey dogs on his route love to see him coming!

One of my dogs used to just give a bark on seeing the postman, but not particularly bothered. Thanks to our "new" postie things are now very different. They both go mental on seeing him.

He intentionally winds them up by standing at my sitting room window whilst "looking through his mail for my letters". I asked him to stop, but that just made things worse. If he spots me in the room he goes just past the window and stands at the side, apparently sorting post. Enough to still wind the dogs up, but I can't see him. I caught him at it once when I was in the back garden and another time when my sister was in the living room and I was walking up the street coming back from the shop.

He's an evil ******. Hasn't actually done anything wrong as such, but I know if I complain he'd say he felt at risk of being bitten and no longer deliver my stuff (prob whilst still going past winding up the dogs as he goes).

I wonder what training is involved in educating postmen in how to deal with dogs?
he sounds horrible
i too was wondering what sort of training is involved, i might ask my postman sometime this week.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post

hearing things like that really makes me mad, i bet postmen/women like that would be the first to complain if a dog chased them or went for them, never mind actually bite them, when they are the ones spending months purposely winding them up.

i have been lucky with postmen and dogs. neither dogs i have had have been the slightest bit bothered by the postman, sam would bark but was always really friendly when he saw him. and jake doesnt even bat an eyelid the postie we had when we had sam was great, he carried treats with him and although he was never left out in the garden where sam could get to him, the postie made a point of seeing him and giving him a treat when we met him on walks

i wonder what they will be taught...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 11:59 AM
My sympathy is for the postie. I put an outside postbox up when the postmen started waiting at the gate and calling to me, because Shamus and Daisy would hurtle at the front door, bouncing it on the frame (and it`s a solid old door!). Daisy would take great delight in leaping to head-height and bellowing at the poor guy through the glass bit as well.
Now they ring and wait while I put the dogs in a room and close the door and all is tranquil again.
What on earth are all these dogs doing roaming the streets anyway?