Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2010, 02:21 AM

How safe is spaying your pup?

I have a 4month old min pin pup and i want to get her spayed when shes old enough. But i've heard some horror stories about peoples dogs dying and stuff ... And also if you could please help my min pins hair is thinning out some and i took her to the vet they did a skin scrape and said he didnt see any mites how hard is mange to detect??

Thanks
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Yes spaying does go wrong and the dog has problems or even dies. However, it is quite rare. I know hundreds of females that were spayed with no problem and not a one where it was. Don't let fearmongers stop you.

If somebody dug up the numbers, I bet more females die going through their first season that being spayed. Infections, injuries from accidental breeding, whelping, giving their owner the slip,etc.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Spaying is relatively safe, especially when done when the dog is healthy (before she develops pyo) and young (but old enough) In the usa, due to the pet overpopulation problem, most vets do several spay surgeries every day, so its routine and complications are rare but can happen.

My advice would be, don't cheap out. Usually when the surgery is dirt cheap its because they are skimping on things like post surgical monitoring, pain meds and are maybe using some older less safe drug cocktails.

DO get presurgical labwork run. It can detect problems before they become a problem. Pre surgical lab work saves lives!

DO INSIST on post op pain medication, too many vets skip this. Just because your dog is acting stoic, doesn't mean she doesn't hurt. A Spay is a major op and it does hurt!

DO find a vet you trust. Visit him before you schedule the op, see how he/she interacts with your pup. If you get a bad feeling, don't use him/her. Talk to other dog owners and get their experiences and recomendations.

DO use a vet that places an IV catheter for the procedure. its just safer to have that in place if something happens. It SHOULD be standard, but again, lots of vets cheap out on these procedures.

If you can find it, use a vet that uses SEVOFLUORANE Inhalent Anesthetic during the procedure. Its the safest on the market. Its more expensive but worth the peace of mind. It also makes the going to sleep/waking up process much smoother for your dog. Much less anxiety with Sevorfluorane. If they don't use SEVO they should use ISOFLUORANE or ISO, if they use ANYTHING ELSE or don't use an inhaled anesthtic, run screaming. Its just too scary to think of doing a major abdominal surgery without the dog intubated and recieving oxygen and adequate anesthesia.

As for the mange, it can be hard to find. How many places did the doctor scrape on the dog? Standard is at least three scrapes in three different spots. Usually at the edges of the line of hairloss. And gruesome as it sounds, you have to scrape until they are bleeding a little to get down deep enough to capture the mite. Did you vet do this? If the hairloss continues, there is no harm in having her rechecked.

Good luck!
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2010, 04:49 AM
thank you i will ask those questions....and the mange the vet only scraped one spot ive never used him before my regular vet was out of town and he was covering for him she goes back in 3weeks for the last round of her puppy vaccines ...can i request her being scraped again?? or i cant request something like that??

and also her hair is thinning but she isnt scratching that baffles me
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 06:24 AM
By all means ASK! You are a paying customer and we have to be proactive in dealing with out pets health!

If she has demodex mange, which is most common in puppies, it causes hair loss and sometimes some secondary redness and skin irritation, but usually doesn't itch. Most common areas for hair loss are on the head and chest with demodectic mange. The other type of mange dogs get is sarcoptic mange, and it is very itchy and uncomfortable, it causes some hair loss but mostly crusty itchy skin, redness, irritation, and they usually get a secondary dermatitis.
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2010, 06:26 AM
o wow i did not know that thank you very much! and i will be sure to ask! I just want my puppy as healthy as possible
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about the thinning hair on your Min Pin Puppy, Both my Male and Female Min Pin went through a stage as puppies where their hair was thinning out around their eyes, muzzle, neck etc.
After countless tests, scrapes from the vet, lots of powders and potions, My vet could find no reason for it.
Since talking with other Min Pin owners I've since found that its quite a common thing in Min Pin pups, a lot of breeders say its a hormonal thing, The hair growns back as they mature.
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2010, 04:49 PM
really i did not know that! thank u cuz i didnt kno its something min pins go thru