Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 03:49 PM

Oops......I've acquired a dog!!!

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't been around for a while, it's just been too hard to come on the dog forum after losing Moon at New Year. I've been meaning to come and do an obit for him but haven't yet (I will though). But I just wanted to tell you all about what has just happened to me..............I've accidently acquired a new dog! Lol.

Yesterday I got an email out of the blue from a lady at the quarantine where Moon stayed for 6 months asking if we were possibly looking for a new dog after losing Moon.

His name is Harry and he's a German Shepherd x Akita and is only 7 months old. He was bred by a Polish lady who had puppies for money and didn't care who she homed them to. Sadly he has now had FOUR homes in 7 short months

Naturally he has now a number of problems. He's a bit nervous of people but is living with small children and has apparently never shown any aggression to people. He is starting to be dominant towards the other dogs at the breeders but this is for several reasons - he keeps leaving and then has to fight his way back into the pack, there are a number of adult entire males at the breeders, he is entire himself and feeling very insecure, he is also got Shepherd and Akita in him, a slight problem recipes! he's not house trained yet as he's been left alone in the garden and not had any toliet training.

Poor poor boy The kennels said they think it's Harry's last chance. It's turning point, make or break time. He needs an understanding home and firm guidance or they fears he's going to turn into a real problem dog who will never find a home and end up pts

So i certainly wasn't looking for a puppy and probably not this breed, however I know I have the traning background to help him through. We also have an excellent dog training class who will help us. I want to help Harry and this feels right. As the situation is so desperate we're going to collect him tomorrow and see how he goes over the weekend. They've said we can give him back Monday if it goes wrong but I know something really drastic would have to happen for us to give up on him in a few days. We'll certainly give him the best chance we can.

What is it about me? Problem dogs just seem to find me!!!! lol

So that's the story, watch this space to see what happens, I have no doubt there will be ups and downs and make for one interesting tale!

Here's a photo of Harry. We want to change his name (I don't mind Harry but I think new start, new name) so any suggestions? We're currently thinking Dillon (faithful companion) or Milo (little soldier).

So we pick him up 3.30pm tomorrow.....we'll keep you posted (I'm so excited, just realised i have to get off to PAH and buy some puppy food!)

Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Aww....bless you.
So sorry to hear about Moon.

Hope this guy can settle forever with you
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 03:56 PM
awww good luck with the new boy and i like both Dillon and Milo for a name, i think he would suit both
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Aww he is gorgeous, and so lucky to have found you. I hope it all goes well!
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Sorry to hear about Moon . Hopefully this lad will find a forever home with you. Like both of the names
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 04:17 PM
So sorry to hear about Moon but I'm delighted to hear that you are able to give Harry the fresh start he so desperately needs. I'm sure that at his age he will soon learn the rules with you and I hope that all goes well and you have many happy years together.

I can't see the photo at the moment, but I think a name will come to you once he's with you (have to confess some of mine have taken several days before we found the right name!)
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 04:26 PM
So sorry to hear about Moon, after all you went through... Maybe his spirit is leading you to harry..

Names will come to you, I have always found that puppys give to their name with their first snuggle.. My first thought on seeing that handsome devil was 'Harvey' as in 'shine on Harvey moon'
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 04:26 PM
I'd missed that you had lost Moon I' so sorry but you gave him a new life{{{hugs}}

New boy looks smashing love the inscruitable expression Looking forward to hearing more about him
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-02-2010, 04:34 PM
So sorry to read about Moon, and I do fully understand that it must have been hard for you to visit Dogsey after he passed away.

And I wish you all the luck in the world with Harry (Or whatever you decide to call him) I must say he looks like a lovely dog, as you say there will be ups and downs but I do believe that what a dog craves more than anything is a stable happy home. They will never let a member of the pack down but it does take time to for them to trust when they've had multiple homes and been rejected by all of them.

I rate those who rescue dogs with the highest regard and will be watching out for news updates from you.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Oh I am very glad that you are back, and I think this is exactly the type of dog that Moon would want you to help.

Well done, and I love Milo as a name

I am sure with some TLC and time this wee boy will make a fabulous companion
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »