Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 03:28 PM

Doesn't that look painful.

It obviously isn't she's just running, but I took this pic of Honey when she was running past me today, and I noticed the front leg thats on the ground, and I've never noticed it before when she's running, although I've never been able to look at her legs as she's running apart from photos lol, I would say she's just propelling herself forward, but is it just me, or does the angle her leg is look paingful?

doggy_wanted
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Oooooo I see what you mean?! She looks very happy running on by in her lil coat tho...so like you said, I'm guessing it's not painful!!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Ouch! That does look uncomfortable But obviously not to her Thanks for sharing x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Poetry in motion, even if it does look a tad weird!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2010, 01:33 PM
oh that looks awkward... must not cause any pain though, she doesnt seem at all bothered lol.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2010, 01:36 PM
ouch!! it is definitely just us hurting by looking at that because she is obviously fine!
LoweherzLeos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2010, 02:58 PM
just shows how the pasterns work as shock absorbers and how stretchy tendons are. great shot!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by doggy_wanted View Post
Oooooo I see what you mean?! She looks very happy running on by in her lil coat tho...so like you said, I'm guessing it's not painful!!
Yeah, if it was in any way painful she would be crying like the baby she is, when she was younger she had bad ears, and although there all cleared up now you should hear the noises she makes if anyone touches them when she's not expecting it, so with her just running its got to be normal

Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Ouch! That does look uncomfortable But obviously not to her Thanks for sharing x
It does, I must admit when I looked back at the photos I was like wth

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Poetry in motion, even if it does look a tad weird!
A tad or a lot

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
oh that looks awkward... must not cause any pain though, she doesnt seem at all bothered lol.
No she doesn't seem bothered by it at all, and she's a big baby

Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
ouch!! it is definitely just us hurting by looking at that because she is obviously fine!
I know when I look at it its like I'm glad thats her and not me

Originally Posted by LoweherzLeos View Post
just shows how the pasterns work as shock absorbers and how stretchy tendons are. great shot!
Thank you, I also got shown a article on another forum about dew claws etc that relates to this photo, I haven't got a link, but I'll copy and paste the article

Dewclaws may contribute to improved balance, too
Dewclaws are another &equently amputated dog part that are often thought to be use¬less, but in fact, the front dewclaws do have a purpose says Chris Zink, DVM, PhD. "The function of front dewclaws is to prevent torque on the leg," she says. "There are five tendons attaching the dewclaw to five muscle bundles, supporting this function¬ality. When a dog is running, the dewclaw comes into contact with the ground. If the dog needs to turn, the dewclaw digs into the ground to support the lower leg and pre¬vent torque."
"The rear dewclaws are vestigial in most breeds; that is not true for the front dew¬claws, which should be more correctly called digits or thumbs," says Dr. Zink. She works exclusively with performance dogs and has found that if a dog doesn't have dewclaws, the leg will twist when turning, which applies significant pressure on the leg. to the toes. carpus, elbow, and shoulders. The repeated twisting and pressure can ultimately cause chronic painful conditions, especially carpal arthritis. "Of the over 30 dogs I have seen with carpal arthritis, only one has had dewclaws. All the others had them removed," says Dr. Zink.
C4L
New Member!
Male 

21-02-2010, 02:14 PM
ouch, doesnt seem to be bothering her though