Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 01:21 AM

Rosie very poorly

We had a worrying time last week with Rosie.

Initially we thought Rosie's symptoms were all due to my dad passing, she had a few "accidents" last week. She is a sensitive little soul and she was his favourite and she loved him so much. Her symptoms started the day of his funeral - Tues.

On Thurs I had let the dogs out and was waiting for them to do their biz, it was raining and it would not have been unusual for one of them to come back in with legs crossed [wait for rain to stop type thing]. Rosie squatted down and to my absolute horror as she did a wee, she passed pure blood and a clot ! I phoned the vet immediately and we got an appt later that day.

Rosie is the most laid back dog and loves the vet so you can imagine how bad the pain was when the vet felt in round her bladder, she not only yelped, she snapped at the vet. I had guessed she was in a lot of discomfort as she was not keen to get out of the car at the vets and normally she would be dancing to get out of the car, she loves the place so much!

Apparently the liver has something to do with clotting and when it isn’t functioning properly the blood will clot . I don’t pretend to understand but she had a full blood profile taken and the vet warned me that we may have to make a decision one way or the other.

Needless to say we were all distraught - we just could not bear the thought we might lose Rosie so soon after my dad and all I could think on the way home in the car was that "her dad would be there to meet her" if she did have to leave us

We came home armed with antibiotics and again I had to coax a very reluctant Rosie out of the car, well I more of less lift her out of the car and have to lift her back end in as her arthritis is not the best.

Halfway through her antibiotic dose the next day mum said to me that she didn’t think they were agreeing with her. Odd as they are usually the only ones that "do" agree with her. Then I did a double check at the dosage. Thought it was a lot for her to take - 2 1/2 tablets twice a day. I checked back on the last time she had them - she takes cystitis every other month, and lo and behold - her dosage is 2 1/2 tablets once per day so someone made a bad error!

Vet rang that evening to tell us that the liver has deteriorated again but not enough to affect the clotting. When they spun the urine sample it showed up as having a lot of bacteria in it so we were dealing with a nasty UTI [urinary tract infection] - she said that maybe it might be a good idea in future to keep her on a low dose antibiotic permantly to stop these bad attacks happening so just before her antibiotics finish we have to take a sample urine back to the vet just to make sure the UTI has cleared and make a decision then regarding the antibiotics.

Rosie is still sore in the bladder region but doing better. The vet thinks she has lost weight and lost condition which we had noticed ourselves - liver disease is not the nicest thing to happen but other than that she is doing ok albeit slowly, we are just so glad to still have her with us

I have started to put Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water as it is supposed to be good for the urinary tract and all over condition. It gets to the stage where you would try anything to help them.

Helen
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Poor Rosie

So glad you noticed the error on her medication..........

Everything crossed here, that Rosie is feeling better very soon x
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 02:33 AM
Poor Rosie and you, you've both been through the mill! I hope Rosie is feeling better soon!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 06:38 AM
Sorry to hear Rosie has been very poorly.

Did the vet double the dose because of the severity of the infection? What did he say when you challenged him on his "error"?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 08:20 AM
No, it was an error, its happened before with this vets. You do need to be "on the ball" so to speak. I'll mention it to the head Vet when I see her next week with Katie. Rosie has warnings printed over her file (on their computer system) because of her intolerances.

Helen
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
No, it was an error, its happened before with this vets. You do need to be "on the ball" so to speak. I'll mention it to the head Vet when I see her next week with Katie. Rosie has warnings printed over her file (on their computer system) because of her intolerances.

Helen
Crikey...... I would be furious if they gave the wrong dosage a second time, despite all the warnings on their computer....... I bet you were too!
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Sorry to hear Rosie is not well, hope she soon feels better xx
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Hope Rosie is feeling better and the medication she has been given will sort her infection out.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Hope Rose starts to pick up soon......give her a snuggle from me...!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Aw poor thing. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery....and well done for spotting the error quickly xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >