Our sister sites
Our sister sites
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2010, 08:08 PM

Should I worry about puppy diarrhoea?

Hi all.
My Pup had his second vaccination on Friday - the day before he had diarrhea (sp?) - a cowpat looking thing, a bit like melted icecream. I had given him quite a bit of peanut in his Kong so thought it might be that (the vet said it can make them runny, too). He's been runny again today (saturday) but its interspersed with more solid poos.
Should I worry or i this just puppy tummy?
I haven't changed his food or anything but he scavenges in the garden for cat poo etc!
Any help appreciated!
Suzy
I forgot to say: He's a 19 week old English Springer
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Hi there.

If it is getting more solid and as long as he is drinking well and seems otherwise lively/happy, I'd say it was just down to too much peanut butter and hopefully he'll be better soon.

But, you do have to be more careful with pups because they can go down hill quickly - so keep a careful eye on him and if he doesn't improve or if he becomes lethargic, I would get him to the vets.
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Happily, Loki began to get better yesterday and now his stools generally look normal! Hurrah!
I haven't talked and thought about someone elses poo so much since I had tiny babies!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Glad to hear the pup is feeling better.
Only a small amount of peanut butter should be used if using it in kongs; just enough to help the dried food stick together in the kong. Alternatives would be sandwich paste, leftover mash or a little moist dog food, mixed with the dried food.