Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lorna1989
New Member!
Female 

13-02-2010, 05:06 PM

Puppy with swollen belly

hi i have a husky/alsatian puppy she is 9 weeks old and has a very large pop/swallon belly she was last wormed 5 days ago what is wrong with her? she also is verry dosey and sleeps most of the day is this normal?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 05:12 PM
No this is not normal. I`d be taking the pup to the vet immediately. Like now.
Did you get the wormers from the vet BTW?
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Ohhh, I totally agree with C&D - a healthy puppy should be active and full of fun, sleeping once their petrol has ran out. It is not normal to be dozing all the time and have a very swollen tum

Maybe she has swallowed something?

Please let us know how you get on at the vets?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 05:39 PM
An urgent vet visit is definitely needed. Please take immediate action - it could save your pup's life.....
lorna1989
New Member!
Female 

13-02-2010, 10:15 PM
she does get quite playful for a hour or so then she will sleep for a couple of hours i only got her yesterday. are vets open on a sunday??
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by lorna1989 View Post
she does get quite playful for a hour or so then she will sleep for a couple of hours i only got her yesterday. are vets open on a sunday??
hi
all vets should have 24hour cover,although it is usually more expensive
how old is she?
im not too surprised she is sleeping alot if you only got her yesterday as it can be quite stressful.
how many meals are you feeding her?pups only have small tummys and need little and often feeding, it is quite usual for pups to get a 'pot bellied' appearance after eating it is due to the size of their tummys,and anatomy.
the other reason could also be worms,all pups have worms,they get it from their mothers milk and need worming regularly with a good product(pref from vet)dosed according to her bodyweight.
if you are worried give the vets a call.
good luck
LoweherzLeos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2010, 10:25 PM
playing for an hour and sleeping for 2 is normal. does she seem healthy in herself, is she eating drinking pooping weeing ok?
puppies will sleep a lot after playing, but if she is looking listless rather than just tired then things may not be the way they should.
pinch the skin on her neck and shoulders, does it spring back straight away? if not she is dehydrated and needs to go to a vet.
does her breath smell sweet? this is an indication of worms, as is the pot belly, which wormer did you use?
lorna1989
New Member!
Female 

13-02-2010, 11:25 PM
she is 9 weeks she had a lot of change in the last week as a week ago she was seperated from her mum and moved to a small house with her 7 other bothers and sisters and 4 grown dogs all her siblings got sold and she was left on her own.
she seems fine in her self she a right little monkey she cheews everything and anything.
i didnt worm her was told she was wormed on monday but i dont no wot they used.
she drinks loads even drinks my water from my cup and i think i was feeding her to much 2 day i was told 4 times a day and have been but i wasnt told how much.
i never had a puppy befor so being a bit panicky but i read it was bad for them if they have a pop belly.
lorna1989
New Member!
Female 

13-02-2010, 11:28 PM
she also gets hick ups she had them 3 times 2 day is that normal
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Hi Lorna four meals a day is correct up to twelve weeks then drop to three meals up to six months.
Is she eating ok, what are you feeding her on.It is best to feed what the breeder was feeding until your puppy settles in.

Is your puppy peeing and pooing ok?

It is normal for a puppy to get hiccoughs, they grow out of it. Offering a warm drink like a little honey in water can help.

I would ask what your puppy was wormed with, I like Panacur granules which are given over three days (from the vet).

If you have any doubts about the health of your puppy it is always wise to have a vet check .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >