Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 02:37 AM

Dog Suffers Horrific Injuries in Suspected Cricket Bat Attack

The RSPCA has launched an investigation after a dog was found so badly beaten that its skull had been smashed and one of the animal’s eye balls had popped out.

The female Staffordshire bull terrier cross was discovered dumped in a field near East Bridgford, near Nottingham, yesterday (Thursday) morning. It appeared to have been bludgeoned with a blunt weapon such as a cricket bat or crowbar, before being callously thrown over a hedge to suffer a slow and painful death.

RSPCA inspector Mike Scargill found the dog fighting for life and unable to move when he arrived at the scene, off Kneeton Road shortly before 10.30am. He took the distressed animal to a nearby vet, who made the decision to put the dog to sleep prevent it further suffering.

Inspector Scargill said: “You get a couple of cases every year that are so disturbing you wake up in the middle of the night thinking about them. This is definitely one of those cases.

“I managed to take the dog to a vet, but to see her struggling to move in the state she was in was extremely upsetting. Even the police officer who was with me was visibly shocked by what we found.

“If someone can’t keep a dog, for whatever reason, there are plenty of outlets for them to turn to for help. Anything would have been kinder than to simply batter the poor thing and then just throw it over a hedge.

“We need the public’s help to find whoever is responsible. If anybody saw anything, or thinks they know who might have carried out this horrific attack, I would urge them to call the RSPCA immediately and in confidence on 0300 1234 999.”

The dog was white and tan in colour and thought to be about seven years old. It was discovered by a member of the public who spotted the dog lying next to a hedgerow. They managed to cover it with a blanket, before the police and RSPCA arrived.

“Initially it looked like the dog had been hit with a hammer as there was one puncture wound in the centre of her head. Its left eye ball had come out and it couldn’t move down its right side. There weren’t any footprints around the dog either, so it looked like someone had just come along, thrown her over the hedge and then driven off.

“A post mortem showed there were no scuff marks on its paws or body, which would suggest it hadn’t been hit by a vehicle. Instead it showed massive trauma to the left hand side of the head, consistent with it being battered by a blunt weapon, like a cricket bat,” added Inspector Scargill.

Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, the maximum sentence for causing unnecessary suffering is six months in custody, a ban on keeping animals and/or a fine of £20,000.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 03:50 AM
This makes me so sad I so wish I could get my hands on the evil person that did this to that poor dog

Rest in Peace Beautiful Girl....No more suffering now x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Poor girl I really hop they find evil b*****d that did this too her.

She can rest in peace out of pain now.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:07 AM
the only real form of justice would be to do the same to the evil s**t that did this to that poor creature. only difference would be that they would be left to die with no one there.

rest in peace precious girl. free from pain forever. xxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Such and upsetting thing to read.

I think whatever befell her....if they find the person responsible then they should suffer the same fate.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 10:29 AM
so sad. So many dogs are abused and the perpetrators not caught. I hope they find whoever did this. Sadly Staffies seem to be the most abused dogs at the moment. Poor little girl.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 01:16 PM
i felt sick reading that... i hope the b****** is found! how can someone do such a thing!? and why do they repeatedly refer to her, as 'it'. FFS, that drives me insane! poor dog

run free special girl xx
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 04:20 PM
That poor baby. What she had to endure doesnt bear thinking about. And more than likely at the hands of someone she knew and trusted! At least her last memories of people is one of kindness and compassion. Sleep well you poor little pup, safe in the arms of the angels.