Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:37 PM

Over excited 6 month old Boxer

Stanley is really good most of the time, does as he's asked and is gentle, brilliant with kids but when we are out on the walks he can pull like a train or he walks to heel lovely. If we let him off his recall is about 80% and he plays really well. But now and then like today, he goes barmy! If he sees a dog on the horizon he bolts and suddenly goes deaf, even if you run the other way. He even charged at a jogger and didn't knock him over but the guy was startled and lost his balance and down he went, I was mortified!!! Just wondered if anybody had advice on the best way to deal with it. Do I keep him on lead and work on his heel work and recall or do I perservere with him off lead and stomach tho humiliation lol. We have started dog training and will chat to the trainer at our next class but wondered if anyone had this problem and had any tips?
Thanks
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Umm, surely this is just normal 6 month old Boxer behaviour? Do you really expect anything more?

With ongoing constructive, consistant and kind training you should hopefully end up with a well behaved - but probably still bouncy - adult dog.

Oh....and a long line would help. All the best with your pup.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by stanfan View Post
Stanley is really good most of the time, does as he's asked and is gentle, brilliant with kids but when we are out on the walks he can pull like a train or he walks to heel lovely. If we let him off his recall is about 80% and he plays really well. But now and then like today, he goes barmy! If he sees a dog on the horizon he bolts and suddenly goes deaf, even if you run the other way. He even charged at a jogger and didn't knock him over but the guy was startled and lost his balance and down he went, I was mortified!!! Just wondered if anybody had advice on the best way to deal with it. Do I keep him on lead and work on his heel work and recall or do I perservere with him off lead and stomach tho humiliation lol. We have started dog training and will chat to the trainer at our next class but wondered if anyone had this problem and had any tips?
Thanks
All very normal!

I would still let him off lead, but be far more selective in where you take him. Unless he will bolt from any distance in which case it is more of a problem.
If he is bolting towards someone that is literally a speck on horizon, I think for his own safety you should contain him to a long line and really work on the recall.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Perfectly normal in a Boxer. At 6 months he is still very much a baby. They are late developers and dont mature until they are 3-4 years old!

Like others have said, use a long line, take lots of treats out with you like cheese cubes or chicken cubes and keep calling him to you, when he comes make a big fuss and give him a treat. Take his favourite toys and make a great game of calling him to you and playing with him.

You need to make being with you much more exciting than anything else he will see or come into contact with. Boxers are usually very "ball" orientated and if he is, make sure and have one with you. Dont always throw in front, throw behind as well. That long line is essential though. I have used clothes lines in the past but they are dangerous to the hand, you can get a nasty burn from the plastic coating when the dog comes to the end of the line and you get a yank!

Have a look at this, think this is very good for pulling -
http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/non-pull-harness.php

Long lines - http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/longline.php
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi, thanks for all the advice. Yes do realise boxers are bouncy We just wanted some advice on the best way to handle it. We had been using an extending lead but didn't know whether this would be confusing him. Do you think we would be better going back to that?

I do take treats out and keep working on the recall but he just gets so over excited bless him. Will take all the advice on though and perservere.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi Stanfan if I may add to the excellent advice already given.

What is Stanley like at home, does he come every time he is called .If he doesn't he won't be likely too come where there are added distractions.

It really does help with recall if you can condition your dog to coming to you at home quickly every time you call.

To do this I play a game a number of times each day .Start by throwing a tip bit a distance away then show the puppy another one and when it is coming toward you and only then not a second before add the word 'here' (not come if you have already been using it and it has been ignored) when it reaches you treat/give lots of praise .

This teaches the puppy that the word 'here' means come to you and something pleasant will always happen.

Once Stanley is coming to you all the time progress to hiding and calling 'here' then treat/praise. Dogs love these games.
Never use 'the word' when you are out if you think it wil be ignored, always calmly go and fetch the dog instead .

I always have some tip bits with me when out on a walk. I let my dog off the lead calling her back for a treat/putting the lead on/letting her go again so the lead going on doesn't become associated with an end to her walk .
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Stanfan if I may add to the excellent advice already given.

What is Stanley like at home, does he come every time he is called .If he doesn't he won't be likely too come where there are added distractions.

It really does help with recall if you can condition your dog to coming to you at home quickly every time you call.

To do this I play a game a number of times each day .Start by throwing a tip bit a distance away then show the puppy another one and when it is coming toward you and only then not a second before add the word 'here' (not come if you have already been using it and it has been ignored) when it reaches you treat/give lots of praise .

This teaches the puppy that the word 'here' means come to you and something pleasant will always happen.

Once Stanley is coming to you all the time progress to hiding and calling 'here' then treat/praise. Dogs love these games.
Never use 'the word' when you are out if you think it wil be ignored, always calmly go and fetch the dog instead .

I always have some tip bits with me when out on a walk. I let my dog off the lead calling her back for a treat/putting the lead on/letting her go again so the lead going on doesn't become associated with an end to her walk .
Hiya, he's really good at home, its really only when there are other dogs and people about as he just loves to play and be fussed so it really working on that. The game you suggested sounds great and am going to do that as some extra fun and practise. Thank you for all the brill advice everyone!!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 11:59 PM
We had been using an extending lead but didn't know whether this would be confusing him. Do you think we would be better going back to that?
I would get a long line, more freedom for the dog and ultimately more fun but you also have control.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Great advice already!Just wanted to add two things...first if you are running him on a longline, invest in a harness to if you don't already have one...if he is towards the end of the longline and charging he could really hurt his neck when he stops.
Second...when you feed him the treats, instead of just giving him one biggish cube, try using the same size cube but breaking it into smaller pieces, feeding him them and telling him, in an excited manner, how totally wonderful he is and that he is the best doggy in the whole wide world! It will encourage him to stay with you for longer rather than the smash and grab some dogs can do when they zoom in , get treat and zoom straight back out!
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I would get a long line, more freedom for the dog and ultimately more fun but you also have control.
Have never used long line, whats the best way to use it? Sorry if that a stupid question lol.

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Great advice already!Just wanted to add two things...first if you are running him on a longline, invest in a harness to if you don't already have one...if he is towards the end of the longline and charging he could really hurt his neck when he stops.
Second...when you feed him the treats, instead of just giving him one biggish cube, try using the same size cube but breaking it into smaller pieces, feeding him them and telling him, in an excited manner, how totally wonderful he is and that he is the best doggy in the whole wide world! It will encourage him to stay with you for longer rather than the smash and grab some dogs can do when they zoom in , get treat and zoom straight back out!
That a great idea with the treat, def going to do that.

you are all brill you know!!! Thanks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >