View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 02:41 PM

Has anybody got experience of an artificial grass lawn?

we are considering replacing our mud patch for an artificial lawn. They do a pet grade one, seems a good idea.....

Wondered if anybody has one or knows anybody.

Are they durable enough for 2 GSDs?

your thoughts welcome x
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Good question, I have wondered about this for my garden xx
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Yes - my friend has her (smallish) back garden all done with artificial grass as her dog used to make a mess of the real stuff and it is fantastic - looks like the real stuff and often there are 5-6 dogs visiting and no trouble at all. I would defo recommend it!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 04:28 PM
I know somebody that runs their two dogs on an artificial foot ball pitch, well did. Having chased eachother and skidded a few times, their feet were raw. Vet thinks its the plastic surface burning them when they skid at speed. Hasnt been on there since.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by kiwijan View Post
Yes - my friend has her (smallish) back garden all done with artificial grass as her dog used to make a mess of the real stuff and it is fantastic - looks like the real stuff and often there are 5-6 dogs visiting and no trouble at all. I would defo recommend it!
thanks for that do you know where they got it from by any chance?
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I know somebody that runs their two dogs on an artificial foot ball pitch, well did. Having chased eachother and skidded a few times, their feet were raw. Vet thinks its the plastic surface burning them when they skid at speed. Hasnt been on there since.
gosh luckily mine dont really chase around and its prob not big enough to get enough speed to skid so hopefully that wont be a problem. Thanks for your comments hadn't considered friction burns
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I'll find out where she got it from and let you know later in the week. Hopefully they won't use it to run and around and chase so the burns won't be a problem!
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2010, 01:00 PM
I've heard of a family which had one laid & had to have it removed due to static
The kids were scared to walk on the "lawn"
JaniceH
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2010, 02:59 PM
I looked into this a long while back, apparently the main drawbacks are what its laid onto and the risk of injury to the dog. If its laid onto soil you have the issue of maybe weeds growing up through it, and also waterlogging. If its laid onto concrete then its rock hard and difficult to drain (think dog wee)! It can get very dirty and its difficult to patch should it wear thin or tear. Also friction is another issue, footballers really dont like astro turf as it takes your skin off if you slide on it. So I was really worried about dogs paws even if they dont skid on it. If you google Astroturf burns you will see masses of articles on it, and even special medical first aid kits specificially for that type of burn!

Also for sale of house purposes, people tend to want a real lawn.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 03:25 PM
I was wondering how well it would drain. It would get a bit pongy if they piddled on it all the time and it wouldn't drain properly.

I wish I could get some for ours though - our garden is so small and Marius pees for England, we have no grass left
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >