Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-01-2010, 09:19 AM

Rehoming a Dog. Any potential problems?

I'm helping out my rescue kennels.

I have found a new home for a great dog, he's always been my favorite. The dog was originally abandoned so we don't know what his issues are. I do know that he was nervous and didn't like some of the kennel workers. However, I used gentle encouragement and he is fine with both me and my girlfriend.

The kennels are giving me the responsibility of the hand-over. I will give advise and maybe provide my number for future support. But I'm a bit worried if anything happens within his new household.
Legally could there be an comebacks?
Have you got any tips for the handover?

Thanx
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Just give as much information as possible temperament etc explain that he will be unsettled for a few days and they have to give him time, is there an adoption form on ours it says that although we do our best to ensure the health and behaviour of the dog, its not a gurantee.

Yes give your phone number for support, and i always ring then a couple of days after adoption to make sure everything is ok
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Just give as much information as possible temperament etc explain that he will be unsettled for a few days and they have to give him time, is there an adoption form on ours it says that although we do our best to ensure the health and behaviour of the dog, its not a gurantee.

Yes give your phone number for support, and i always ring then a couple of days after adoption to make sure everything is ok
And explain that you are more than happy for them to call whatever the problem or question.....its amazing how many people don;t ring becasue they are embarresed or concerned about bothering you.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
And explain that you are more than happy for them to call whatever the problem or question.....its amazing how many people don;t ring becasue they are embarresed or concerned about bothering you.

exactly usually we've heard it all before, and after all theres no such thing as a stupid question Good luck theres nothing quiet like a dog going off to its new home, my latest foster is getting picked up in about quarter of an hr, and is currently laid as close as possible with his head on my laptop
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I think you should expalin the issues the dog may have had with other kennel workers, why you "think" this issues came about and what the new owners can do to avoid this situation,
also giving them the support after they have gone home with the dog,

good luck.

ETA: when you say he didnt like some workers, how did he show he didnt like them?