Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 04:46 PM

When/where does your dog wear a collar?

I am just genuinely interested in how many people have collars on their dogs all the time? If you do why do you if you don't why don't you?

I will start

Ben always has a collar on even in the house, it is a narrow black webbing collar with a snap fastening which I could release quickly but he couldn't. Having read a few things it does concern me that he may get caught on something when I am not around and this fear would probably be increased if I had a multi dog household, eg play fighting etc

But I see it as if anything happened and he got out or ran off he is identifiable even though he is also chipped. My mum and dads house went on fire many years ago and the Firebrigade had to break in there Lab was terrified and bolted and was found by a farmer (luckily not near sheep) a couple of miles away who phoned mum and he was quickly reunited - I know that's an extreme example but it s what sways me to collar Ben all the time
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 04:50 PM
The big ones wear them most of the time but they come off at night or if they get wet. I take them off because they affect the way the coat lies, and Dan sometimes gets knotty round his neck. Rogue doesn't wear hers much yet, as it's too big for her tiny neck. I don't feel the need for them to wear id tags in the house, because if they get out, Rio goes to my Mum's (next door but one) and Dan goes to the car. They wouldn't run off.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Mine have theirs on all the time unless they are wet.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 04:53 PM
my 2 have theirs on all the time.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Mine never wear collars in the house, they get them put on when we're going out and only ever then. The reason for this is that I have two dogs and they play a lot, and I've read that collars on playing dogs can sometimes cause big problems, and if I can avoid any more problems then I will!

I suppose it stems from the horse ownership days too, because I would never leave a headcollar on a horse out in a field unless it was a leather one which would break, and even then, only if I had a naughty horse which was hard to catch. I've seen a horse getting a headcollar stuck on a big metal wastebin, it went frantic with this great big bin stuck to it's head and broke a leg, the rest was history, so it's kind of inbuilt in me now, that an unnecessary apparel on an animal is a wise decision.

My dogs could never get out into any roads, let alone the 6ft fencing all around our corner property, we have a big driveway where we park with 6ft double gates to get out of, so the dogs go in the car before I open the gates, so I really have no worries that they'll ever escape! Not that they'd want to, my breed is very territorial, as well as very clever, they know where their bread is buttered!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I suppose it stems from the horse ownership days too, because I would never leave a headcollar on a horse out in a field....
Now you know thats weird I would never leave a headcollar on a horse but I leave Bens collar on???? Mind you if he goy out he's near a big road and then quite near is a main busy ring road. I hope it never happens but thats my worry and he's too stooopid to realise what side his bread is buttered on!!

I will add if he is wet or been swimming etc then the collar is taken off but he is never left like that

I am quite interested in what others do
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 05:01 PM
If my boundaries weren't as secure as they are, then I would definitely be leaving their collars on, but I always close those gates when we're in, I even go so far as to lock them from the inside, so that no begger can just walk in and leave them half open, and the front gate from the garden is also padlocked, so no worries for me really, but for you, it's a different matter Lynne, so yes, I would have their collars on if I didn't feel as secure as I am here that's for sure.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 05:01 PM
My 2 have leather collars and wear them all the time, even when wet.
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2010, 05:05 PM
My dogs wear collars when I have a leash attached to it, and at no other time.

I know of far too many incidents first hand where dogs have died as a result of wearing a collar.

One fine young bitch died in the kitchen floor in front of her owner's eyes when their young male tangled his lower jaw in her collar. Before they could get them cut apart she was dead.

Another friend found her young Frenchie hanging dead on her fence after a brief trip to the grocery store.

No collars on my dogs unless I am working with them.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 05:06 PM
mine only wear collars when out, i don't like them to have them on when i am not here in case they got caught in each other playing or got hooked on anything else
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »