Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 01:49 PM

Does the snow make your dog trip more?

Is anyone else finding this, Diesel loves the snow, and recently he has been tripping on walks on average at least five times a walk in this weather, as he still runs at the speed that he would run if there wasn't any snow, and this is fine, apart from when he gets into a little bit of a drift, and then he ends up eating snow like this,

Honey's fine, but she doesn't run so much any more, but she has tripped up a few times, but she doesn't fall as much as him, so is anyone else's dogs doing this?

For now though both dogs are having on lead walks, but I don't think that would last with them, so maybe Diesel wont fall over so much
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Not mine. Hoki has got stuck once or twice in really deep drifts where her legs don't touch the ground but she's wriggled her way out. Stumpy often has a tumble, but that is all about her trying to change direction at speed, something she is not very good at (not having a full tail probably doesn't help) but at least the snow is a softer landing.

I think I'd be a bit worried about Diesel's legs if he is tripping a lot - they are long and thin - are lurcher's legs easily broken?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Yes broken legs is a worry with him, we once got a whippet who had a load of problems, and one of them was a broken leg, and recently Diesel has taken more trips then any dog that I've known growing up, but he will also try to start the zoomies on lead too, which at the moment is fine, but then theres also the fact that if he does that on ice and I fell on him he could probally get more injured then hitting the snow, as ours is still soft right now, so its not so hard when he falls.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Yes broken legs is a worry with him, we once got a whippet who had a load of problems, and one of them was a broken leg, and recently Diesel has taken more trips then any dog that I've known growing up, but he will also try to start the zoomies on lead too, which at the moment is fine, but then theres also the fact that if he does that on ice and I fell on him he could probally get more injured then hitting the snow, as ours is still soft right now, so its not so hard when he falls.
The ice probably is more a worry than the soft snow! I think the worst is when the snow gets 'crusty' on the top (i.e. frozen) I've noticed with mine, when it is like that, they have to pick their legs up vertically rather than being able to wade through it.
Hopefully the softer snow would give way rather than his leg breaking.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 03:29 PM
both mine got skidding on the ice they pelt it out the back door chasing one another. No trips though touch wood.
ATD x
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
The ice probably is more a worry than the soft snow! I think the worst is when the snow gets 'crusty' on the top (i.e. frozen) I've noticed with mine, when it is like that, they have to pick their legs up vertically rather than being able to wade through it.
Hopefully the softer snow would give way rather than his leg breaking.
We haven't had hard snow yet, well it started getting harder, but its been snowing for the last half an hour now, so I don't know what its going to be like tomorrow, the worst thing is with Diesel is that although Honey wouldn't mind lead walks so much, Diesel can't cope with them, so its going to get harder walking him on lead too , this is the worst problem I've ever had walking them, normally its simple, but being England and it being snowy there has to be some problems doesn't there
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
We haven't had hard snow yet, well it started getting harder, but its been snowing for the last half an hour now, so I don't know what its going to be like tomorrow, the worst thing is with Diesel is that although Honey wouldn't mind lead walks so much, Diesel can't cope with them, so its going to get harder walking him on lead too , this is the worst problem I've ever had walking them, normally its simple, but being England and it being snowy there has to be some problems doesn't there
Well on the positive side with their short coats, at least they're not going to get all snow-balled up

Sounds like you have it worse than us now - we haven't had any for a week (though we had loads the 2 weeks before that)
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Here is a tip for ya, works wonders.
Before you go out the door put vaseline on their paws, make it a good bit and be sure to get in between the pads as well as. This gives them a waterproof base and stops the snow forming under the pad, allows their paws to have the grip as they can walk with clean paws. Prevents tiny snowballs forming and not clogging up making it painful to walk. Also stops the salt getting into small cuts that really stings.