View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2010, 05:00 PM

How long do I need to continue soaking food?

Hi

Just wondering I have a Beagle Pup who is 12 weeks (13 this Saturday) he is currently being fed on Royal Canin, whic I soak! Just wondering how long do I need to do this? Or should it always be soaked.

I am not sure if I am going to stick to Royal Canin, thinking about switching to James WellBeloved, what are people's opinions on which is better?

Also just a another quick query, I would like Monty to be able to have Raw Fresh Marrow Bones (OH stepdad is a butcher) in the future and was wondering how old he should be before I try him with one? Could he have one now for like 10 minutes a day to get used to them?

Thanks in advance for your help!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-01-2010, 05:22 PM
I don't understand why you are soaking the food, your pup has had teeth since a few weeks old. All my pups have chicken wings etc from when they are weaned between 3/4 weeks and I have seen them dragging quite large bones around, nearly as big as them, which is really funny

here are a couple of Cariad's babies with their first bone at nearly 4 weeks

Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Hi Amy

Regarding soaking kibble, you can do this indefinitely if you wish. Some people soak the kibble in order to bring out the flavours and make it more palatable for the dog.
Beanz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2010, 07:54 PM
If your pup will eat his kibble dry, we would start off one meal dry then gradually over the next month or so change all his meals. As adults we feed ours soaked. In morning they have raw chicken wings or legs. Wings are better but we cant always get them.

You can give your pup raw meaty marrow bones anytime. Marrow can give themloose bowels until they get used to it so for a while scoop it out with a spoon or blunt knife. Your pup will love his bone

You are lucky to have a relative in the trade

Lovely pups!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 08:29 PM
You can soak kibble for as long as you want but thre is no need once they have all their teeth, I stopped soaking kibble for my Laelands at about 8 weeks.
Yes to bones also
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
My puppies come to me at 7 weeks eating dry kibble. The only reason to continue it past 5-6 weeks is because that is the way some people have always done it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by AmyH-Cornwall View Post
Hi

Just wondering I have a Beagle Pup who is 12 weeks (13 this Saturday) he is currently being fed on Royal Canin, whic I soak! Just wondering how long do I need to do this? Or should it always be soaked.

I am not sure if I am going to stick to Royal Canin, thinking about switching to James WellBeloved, what are people's opinions on which is better?

Also just a another quick query, I would like Monty to be able to have Raw Fresh Marrow Bones (OH stepdad is a butcher) in the future and was wondering how old he should be before I try him with one? Could he have one now for like 10 minutes a day to get used to them?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hi Amy JWB is a reasonable food, if you intend switching food it is best to do it gradually over a number of days.

As Lucky Star says moistening the food seems to help release the smell and make the food more appetising for dogs.
Because kibble is dehydrated I notice when dogs are fed on dry kibble they seem to consume large amounts of water in one go and I don't think this can be particularly good for them. If you are going to stop moistening the food I would do this gradually too .

As long as your dog has something to chew to clean the teeth I don't think there is a problem with moistening the kibble. Giving a whole carrot to chew will help to keep a dogs teeth clean.
Beanz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2010, 02:27 AM
Minihaha: at last i have found someone who agrees with me about dry kibble & the amount of water dogs drink after eating it. Soak it first & its much more natural a feed (in our minds)for the dog. If you really want to feed some dry kibble, get a kong, fill it with part of the dogs daily ration, plug the end with bit of chicken for a pup, cheese for older dog. Our adults wouldnt eat dry kibble any other way.
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies!

I think I will continue soaking his food as long as he is on Royal Canin, I do think it is good that he is getting water whilst he is eating as he does seem to drink a fair amount now, would hate to see how much if I didn't soak it!

However I don't think you can soak James Wellbeloved can you? I know some foods will just sit on top the water!
Great news about the Bones! I will get him one for this weekend!

Tawneywolf I soak his food as that is what he was used with the breeder, and didn't see it as a bad thing to do! Great pics of the puppies, they are lovely, can't wait to give Monty his first bone this weekend!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Yeah but I can't understand why people don't want pups to use their teeth to crunch!!! Then again I have raised my pups completely on raw so they can at a very early age make short work of a raw chicken wing. Soaked kibble will give very discoloured teeth unless like has been said you give a raw carrot, and of course bones. Don't be tempted to give cooked ones as they splinter.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >