Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-01-2010, 10:44 AM

Oh my. The snow is dreadful here.

I can see from my kitchen window the road leading up to the crematorium. The cars are having an awful job getting up the hill and into the crem. We have 5 Kier open back trucks here and the men shovelling grit to try to keep the cars going they are having to push some of them.

It has been snowing on top of what we had last night and has now been snowing continually for the past 21/2 hours and no signs of letting up.

Have just rung Gorden and said to him the main roads may be clear but if you want to park your car at home you need to be thinking of making your way home now.

How is everybody else doing ?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Oh dear - we just have a light dusting, but it id look on the news as if you had it bad.

Hope everything is Ok and Gordon gets home alright.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Well it was pretty nasty yesterday in town, but mostly because the roads were icy too. Work closed early, but my OH had to visit his brother in hospital, and ended up walking 3.5 miles before he could get a train

We're both working from home today as the roads are so bad and buses off. Trains were running OK, but it would only take a signal failure for us to have been stranded 7 miles from home.

Good luck to all down south - I hope it doesn't keep up too long!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 11:03 AM
We have 3-4 inches, but my road is dodgey to get out of, so im not going anyway.......even if i DID manage to get to work id be so worried about getting back. I just walked down the road to see the exitt routes & all the cars are sliding all over the place.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Sounds like it is quite bad in most places.

We are the same the main routes aren't so bad apparently I haven't been out too try them. Our road is a side road and I was watching cars sliding about when coming back from walking Ollie, when we come back we are up a hill which makes it worse, that is where Gorden may get stuck.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 11:24 AM
According to the forecast, we're in the worst spot here in the South, and have to say, I've never seen it snowing quite so heavily and for so long as it has done all morning,let alone what we had overnight. I'm getting quite worried about Dave being 10 miles away at work now I can't open the driveway gates even if I wanted to get the car out which I don't, and I just tried to take Zena out, but going down the hill was just too dangerous with her boinging about on the end of her long lead (oh where did all that training go now that it's snowed???!!! ). I just can't risk it coz we have no pavements, so I've got to be in the road for a short distance to get to go up behind the village onto the open spaces, and with cars skidding about all over the place it really isn't worth the risk to her or me. Make it stop now please, it's getting a bit scarey down here now. I've just had a big lorry reversing down the High Street (he obviously couldn't get up there) and now he's blocked the entire entrance to the village from the main road by broadsiding it right across! Why do they bother when they know the conditions are this bad??!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Sounds bad where you are Lynn, I just took Leon out for a quick walk and it has just stopped snowing but the sky is full of it so am sure we're in for some more

I would say we have got about 5 inches now, the roads are bad on the estate but not sure how the main roads are, I haven't seen much movement from across the fields so maybe people are in work now, or not going.

It weird how just a few miles can make such a difference..Clive was at the unit yesterday, just 1 1/2 miles away from home and he rang to say it was snowing, yet it was sunny here

He just popped out to the shops about a mile away to get some more berad, tea bags, milk etc., at least we know we will be able to eat and have hot drinks if we are snowed in for a few days.

Hope everyone else is doing ok
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Lots here. It seems to be slowing down know though; had heavy snow since about 6:00am this morning. My car is under a foot of the stuff and I'm not going anywhere.

Dreading the ice though which I'm sure will rear it's ugly head in the next day or so. If it stays as cold as it is (which they say it will for at least another week or two) then we won't be getting rid of it any time soon.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 11:32 AM
sun shining brightly here on a foot of snow, main roads are fine and have managed to get the car out to get the woofas down to the nature reserve, had a lovely hour and 1/2 with them bombing about through the nature reserve and over the golf course.................. best use for the golf course if you ask me, springer heaven, nearly lost moll in a drift
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Hope Dave arrives home soon Helena, he sounds like Gorden leaves it till the last minute and gives us even more grey hairs. I am going nowhere either today thank goodness Michael didn't have to get into work today he has a day off.

Was meant too be meeting my friend for lunch we had to cancel neither of us fancied trying it today.

Haven't seen it this bad for a while Sheree not as bad as some areas though so I suppose we should count ourselves lucky. Hope it stays clearer your way.

Sounds like fun Lizzy Ollie enjoys the snow he finds endless energy when out. He was bounding about on the field today makes him a bit naughty too. He will have too make do with the garden later I will take him our for a snowball fight in a while.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >