View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 01:18 AM

Jake nearly had a doggy friend to stay the night!

my bf does deliveries for a local takeaway, and i always go and give him a hand. well tonight, we were on our last delivery, and it was about 11.45. we were approaching a t-junction (is that whats its called?? - i dont drive ) but were going to be making a right turn just before we reached it. but what did i see crossing the road?? a wee black and tan terrier cross.

i wanted to make sure someone was with them, so asked my bf to drive over. so we did, and no one was in sight so followed the wee dog while i tried to see if s/he had a collar, and no s/he didnt . i was just about to get out the car when s/he wandered into a garden having a wee sniff about. i wasnt sure this was their house, so i got out to check what s/he was doing (s/he was so blooming small it was hard to see them ) and they had wandered into the back garden so couldnt follow.

i then noticed someone watching me out the window (i was still on the pavement) so i made a hasty retreat, and just as i got to the car 3 young guys came out. they looked at us but just walked down the street. we then had to go make this delivery but i made sure we went back to double check if i could see the dog before we left. i hate to think of a poor wee dog locked out in the cold.

but it makes me wonder, was this the dogs house? coz s/he seemed to know were s/he was going... but it had been snowing on and off all day and was freezing! so why would someone let their dog out to wander round the streets alone, especially at that time of night! they looked in good condition, so im sure that s/he has an owner...

it just amazes me people do things like this... i worry just walking jake that he gets cold, but he shows no signs of being cold so im sure he isnt bothered but depending how long the dog is out, it would surely get to her/him... then they could so easy get hit by a car, or anything!

if they hadnt gone into that garden though, i would have brought them home to the warmth (was too late to knock random houses doors). then taken them to the vet tomorrow to see if s/he is chipped... im sure jake would have enjoyed having a playmate im sure my parents will be glad of the outcome though.

i just hope the wee dog is ok...
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm sure s/he will be fine (well at least I hope they will).

We had the same happen to us a few months back, and the dog trundled into a garden where two adults were out front and I asked if they had seen this little dog, and they said yes it was theirs, and they hadn't even noticed it had been running and wondering alongside a major road!!!! Twonks!

Good on you for trying to bring it to safety though
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I'm sure s/he will be fine (well at least I hope they will).

We had the same happen to us a few months back, and the dog trundled into a garden where two adults were out front and I asked if they had seen this little dog, and they said yes it was theirs, and they hadn't even noticed it had been running and wondering alongside a major road!!!! Twonks!

Good on you for trying to bring it to safety though
i hope so too... there are just many dangers out there and the cold just now is another big worry... some people just dont seem to care...
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 07:18 AM
I couldn't let mine out to roam, even if it was just at evening tiddle time - I see too many dangers. I love my dog and don't want her coming to harm. Its beyond my comprehension why people do it, but they do.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
I couldn't let mine out to roam, even if it was just at evening tiddle time - I see too many dangers. I love my dog and don't want her coming to harm. Its beyond my comprehension why people do it, but they do.
same here, jake once got out the gate and was on the back lane (its a really quiet lane that goes behind the houses so people can park their car coz i live on a main road so the drive is at the back) and wasnt going anywhere, just having a sniff. and i was going out of my mind, but i just called once and he came. but even that was enough for me!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Why oh why
Poor little chap I hope he will be alright.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Why oh why
Poor little chap I hope he will be alright.
me too i just dont understand how people can do it...
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2009, 12:29 AM
it makes me feel sick the thought of either of my 2 out there fending for themselves. why get a dog if you can't be bothered to take it out.

i was thinking about this and the fact that both my dogs actually like walking with me. so for them to be out on their own, i reckon they would be anxious and afraid.

i just hope this was a one off and the dog had got out without the owner realising.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2009, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
it makes me feel sick the thought of either of my 2 out there fending for themselves. why get a dog if you can't be bothered to take it out.

i was thinking about this and the fact that both my dogs actually like walking with me. so for them to be out on their own, i reckon they would be anxious and afraid.

i just hope this was a one off and the dog had got out without the owner realising.
i do too... but when the 3 guys came out, they clearly werent looking for him/her. they were carrying on and throwing snowballs at each other. but surely you would notice if your dog was gone... i would if it was jake, but maybe just coz he is always glued to my side
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i do too... but when the 3 guys came out, they clearly werent looking for him/her. they were carrying on and throwing snowballs at each other. but surely you would notice if your dog was gone... i would if it was jake, but maybe just coz he is always glued to my side
he knows where he is best off then!!

well they don't deserve to have a dog. i worry myself silly over my 2 and quite often get told to calm down by others! but that is me and like you, i need to know where my dog is all the time. i think that is normal and i will never change my views on that!!

it's heartbreaking to think that so many people really don't care at all about their pets.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >