Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2009, 08:02 AM

Breakdown recovery and dogs

Just wondered do organisations like AA and RAC transport dogs in their vans (obviously accompanied) in the event of a breakdown? OHs birthday is Jan 8th so am trying to think of pressies for him and as he travels a lot and has no breakdown cover thought this might be a good idea but we would be able to use it on hols aswell (if needed) so just wondered what the organisations policies are on taking dogs aswell as people.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-12-2009, 08:10 AM
I always thought they did and hope they do in case we ever break down and have Ollie with us.

Mind you they would probably get fed up of us trying to get him into a strange vehicle and him grumbling at a stranger.
They would probably take the car and leave us too find our own way home.

Might be worth ringing round and asking.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2009, 08:10 AM
I have breakdown cover through my insurance policy. I told them that I frequently had dogs with me when I travel and they said they were covered too.

I have heard that some organisations refuse to have them in the breakdown vehicle and make the dog stay in the vehicle being recovered, which I would never do.

I have never had to test my recovery service with the dogs though.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Its a few years ago now, but the AA rescued us plus dog in their recovery vehicle. They only asked that we kept him off the seats.... no problem as there was lots of space on the floor.
I always assumed dogs would be covered just like other passengers.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2009, 08:21 AM
this is a good question Lynne, One I have never thought about untill now, I have breakdown recovery though its just through my insurance company, not with one of the big ones like RAC or AA. If push comes to shove though, I would be ok with the dog being in the car so long as I was in the truck towing the car.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2009, 09:29 AM
This has happened to us - 7 dogs, broken down van. The guy said they had no responsibility for the dogs but as we weren`t moving without them they towed the lot of us to our destination.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2009, 10:15 AM
We have been towed twice over the years onc with 3 GSD's and then with 4 collies both times they stayed in the car and were fine but there wasnt really room in the cab for us the kids and 3 big dogs, with the collies it was only a few years ago and they were fine and it was only about 30/40 miles
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Yes they do.

few yrs back , I broke down in my horsebox, 2 horses, 3 kids and one Bandit....

We all piled into the back of the break down truck, apart from the horses that is, they stayed in the box, which was towed up the m6 in the middle of a winters night.

Not something I would wish to repeat anytime soon
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Mine have always been left in my vehicle and they have said no to them coming in the breakdown truck. That is the AA.

I think you will find they all say at the drivers discretion or similar.

rune
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2009, 01:11 PM
ive found the RAC better than the AA. Some AA men refuse to touch the car if its got dogs in. Im happy to keep the dogs in the van IF its up on a lorry, dont want them towed along a motorway front whheels up, backwheels down
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >