Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 12:24 PM

Therapy dogs

I'd love to train Sika up as a therapy dog in the future. She is young now, only 13 weeks but I am trying to instill good habits into her (taking treats gently, not jumping up which is NOT easy with a bouncy young Viz but hey!). Is there anything else which would help to give her a head start into therapy dog 'mindset'? I work as a private Podiatrist and she has been with my to visit a few of my patients. I truly believe she has the right sort of temperament for therapy work from what I have already seen
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-12-2009, 04:28 PM
What you have done already is good start. since I have cause to go there, I started taking Raven to a nursing home at 8 weeks. My puppies have always been welcome there. The new management does want a health record on file.

Since she is past the age where studies show puppies accept new things best, you need to doing as much as you can to expose her to walkers, wheelchairs, automatic doors, elevators, etc. Take it easy and don't overwhelm her. Don't coddle her if she shows fear. Remain relaxed so your stress doesn't add to the problem and quietly remove her.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 04:46 PM
My mother has a registered PAT dog and he visits a hospice every week where he gets to jump up onto the beds and lie down for a cuddle. He thinks this is great because he isn't allowed on the bed at home!

You need to make sure that your pup is happy to be handled all over. Part of the assessment includes having their tail grasped, suddenly but gently. That is something you can practise during your grooming sessions. Their basic obedience needs to be good, particularly walking on a lead without pulling. It sounds as if you are well on the way, good luck.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Thank you The tail thing is a good point, I'll start grabbing ha ha! But in as nice a way as possible!
jodublin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2009, 06:42 PM
hi ,my dog obi is also waiting to be a therapy dog ,he was tested a month ago ,were just waiting to hear back .Dogs need to be over a year old, friendly ,clean and use to wheelchairs ,walking sticks ect ..Good luck .
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi! So glad you want to share Sika with the less fortunate! I'm sure Sika will love it too.

The best thing to do is desensitize sika to as much as possible. Make sure she is used to being touched, squeezed, pulled, EVERYWHERE particuarly her feet. I've found thats the first thing people go for on Moxie is her spotty feet. She always pulls back. Had I had her from a pup I could have taught her that paw squeezing was a fun game.

Let he meet lots of new people of all ages, sizes, etc. You may make a game of walking oddly around her, with a pronounced limp etc, as these things can sometimes freak a dog out to encounter.

I'm lucky in that I live with a disabled person so Moxie and my new pup when I get her will be socialized to all the paraphinalia, crutches, canes, wheelchairs, etc.

Good luck! I bet Sika will make a great therapy dog!