View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jellie
New Member!
Female 

28-11-2009, 08:01 PM

How can I stop my dog jumping up at us when we are sitting down?

Hi Everyone

I've just got a 2 year old cross staffy called Ellie (not sure what she is crossed with!) from a rescue centre.

The problem we are having (just me and my partner living with her) is that when we sit on the couch she runs and jumps at our faces. She jumps up and begins to go crazy nibbling, licking, nipping ears, necks, backs whatever she can.
I have tried to be postive with her and reward her for when she is doing the right thing e.g. sitting when asked (using a hand signal) lying in her bed or going to her bed. When she jumps up I have tried to ask to come down to the carpet and sit then give her a treat. This worked for a brief spell. We both tried to ignore the behaviour in the hope she would become bored. However this has not worked because she jumps and is quite crazy when she does so, she does hurt (unintentionally) so it becomes phsically impossible to ignore.

She does not jump up when we are up and walking around but becomes 'wild' when we sit down. She is walked regularly, she enjoys mental stimulation e.g. playing with her kong, playing hide and seek with food and toys and playing with her toys. We do give her attention but would just like to sit and be able to watch t.v etc in peace with our dog with us.

Any ideas /suggestions/ or anyone who has had a similare problem would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2009, 08:22 PM
ahhhhh ive just wrote you a really long post but lost it....ARHHHHHHHHHHHH, sorry will try doing it later
Jellie
New Member!
Female 

28-11-2009, 08:37 PM
That happened to me the 1st time I wrote out my problem! Totally annoying! Thanks tho!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-11-2009, 09:41 PM
im guessing you have only had hew a few weeks.

this is probalby an ingrained learned behaviour, probably due to the last owner playing game this way

so you need to break the programming.

for a couple of weeks keep her on an indoor line.

when she goes to jump up lure her into a sit using a treat.
you can maniplate her as well by using the lead (i dont mean checking, yanking, or pulling).

at times when she is hard going, tie her to the bannister or put her inside a crate.
and ignore her.
dont do this for punishment.

she may lark around for a bit, but she will soon realize that life suddenly has a different perspective and she has nowhere to go with the unwanted behaviour, and will settle down.

make sure you arent feeding her additive type food, ie, pedigree or bakers, this is rocket fuel!

another indoor calming exercise is clicker training.
Jellie
New Member!
Female 

28-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks for your help, will get an indoor lead for her and try this out
She isn't on any pedigree or butchers just ardendale.. i think thats right. I think your right it could be a learnt behaviour from a previous home as she is playful when she does it!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-11-2009, 10:45 PM
hiya

good luck

she is probably also still full of kennel adrenaline.

arden grange, good choice
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2009, 09:05 AM
My Shamus used to do this - we found ignoring made him more frantic so put him on a lead and rewarded when calm. Gentle stroking when he sits relaxes him too, and he learned he gets attention when he`s quiet.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
ahhhhh ive just wrote you a really long post but lost it....ARHHHHHHHHHHHH, sorry will try doing it later
Ok, try again. I teach a Behavoiur called "settle", this isnt a down stay & in the end the dog should on Command"settle" go & find a corner to chill out in, whilst you watch the TV

You will need

1. house line
2. Titbits
3. a long lasting chew/bone etc

First put the long/house line on,
If at any point she gets up jumping up at you, whoever isnt been jumped on just calmly takes the line & silently pulls her off. Neither person talks or recats to her. She gets no reaction for that behavoiur.

I would not use the sit (as that is half way up & you need all the positive to be on the floor), i would teach a settle.

Sit on the couch, put the jouse line under your feet, get her to lie down, in a nice relaxed down, feed her in the "settle" using the word as you feed "good Settle " Feed "good settle" feed etc, use a slow relaxing tione, at the same time start to stroke her back , long strokes, quite firm so she knows which bit is being good, & keep using the word & feed, try to use a downward action, pushing into the floor, not too hard, just strong frim & relaxing! Keep your key word up & keep feeding, keep your feet on line,

Start to lift your hand, if she lifts her body to follow it "no settle" & gently push her back into postion. keep reminding her every few minutes stoke simultanious command,feed.

Next step, do your set up, Then give her a chew on the floor to chill her out, every now & again remind her to settle.

Next step, feet off line, keep up all of previous. Keep the line on for a few weeks, so if she does get up you can easily get her off without intereacting too much.

She should soon learn to go & settle on command.

Anything you dont understand got ???? on just ask!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:53 PM
with mine i did the following
push her down,
gave her the down command,
no atention given,
after about 20 seconds give a treat.

Giver her a place to sit, with chews ect

If you give the treat straight away she will jump up for the treat.
ATD x
Jellie
New Member!
Female 

30-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies! Been tryin the long lead and she has calmed so much already! She is currently sprawled out in front of the fire seems to be responding really well, fingers crossed this keeps up. She is calming down alot as the weeks pass, so hoping she realises this is her home now and she wont be going back to the dogs home. She has been sent back twice before poor Ellie! But I am determined she is staying with us, as she has such a lovely nature but just very excitable/boundy etc! Just waiting to get her spayed because she is 'mating' with her bedding and anything else she tries to at the moment, inc me! Is this normal? She is 2? Or is it a dominance thing as she does not try it with my partner (male lol)