Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ash
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-07-2004, 03:17 AM

What a weekend...

I am not sure what to do.......

I have always said, that if any of my dogs bit my kids or anyone for no reason, I would put them down, no hesitation.

Well on Sunday, My son ( 3 year old ) was laying down in front of the fire watching video's.
He was laying with the Bull Mastiff X Lab ( Zues ).
My son ( Josh ) had his head on Zues's chest as he often does.
They were not unsupervised, my wife was sitting next to them on a chair.
Zues growled and snapped at Josh, not sure if Josh climed on top of Zues or not.
I have since spoken to a dog Proffesional, who has said introducing the Boerboel pup 14 weeks ago could have contributed to the issue.
Zues is showing and confirming dominance over my son, because my son is smaller.
The proffesional also said if the dog was dangerous, he would have bitten my son and not just growled and snapped.
Also on another board, ppl have said that I should not let my dogs sleep with the kids. At this point in time I will stop.
Curiosity has got me, does any one here let their dogs sleep with their kids be it in their bedroom or on their beds ???

Take Care all, and I will keep you up to date with the outcome..

Ashley...
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2004, 04:13 AM
Hi Ash, I know I responded to your post on another board, but have you been to the vet? The rott/lab that I told you about that did the same thing had absolutely NO symptoms of HD, could still run and play. When the baby sat on her, she didn't yelp either. It's worth looking into... I hope this all works out. What a terrible thing to occur. I know your dogs are as much apart of the family as the kids almost Good luck.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2004, 06:17 AM
Dear Ash - what an upsetting incident for all of you!

As you know, I am of the opinion that there is always a reason, either psychological or physiological, behind any show of aggression by a dog. Perhaps Josh did indeed climb on Zeus and either startled him from his sleep, or inadvertently hurt him, or both. I would second Barbara's suggestion and have Zeus thoroughly vet checked in case he has some condition, such as arthritis, HD, tooth decay, etc. which might be showing no external signs.

The professional that you have consulted may possibly be correct regarding the dominance thoery - I would say that he is certainly correct in his opinion that if Zues was 'dangerous' he would have bitten.

I firmly believe that children & dogs should never be together unsupervised, and this would extend to not allowing the dog to sleep in the child's room unless the dog was crated. I would certainly think it very unwise to allow a dog to actually sleep on a bed with the child.

If there is a dominance problem could Josh be allowed to participate in Zeus' training & feeding? Perhaps he could, under supervision of course, put the dog's food bowl down & do a couple of basic obedience things such as getting him to sit & drop.

I do hope everything works out well for you.
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

12-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Oh no Ash Poor you... its a real worry isn't it.

I had a rescue staffy who was a real people-dog - except for with my son who was 2 and a half at the time. For some reason she would growl at him when he went near. It started as she felt her position in the family grew and she definitely saw him as subservient to her. On these occasions though Zack didn't even touch her - having been brought up with dogs he's not bothered by them so mostly ignores them (he prefers cats!)

I'll be honest - I rehomed her to a friend because I couldn't take the risk. I have 2 danes now and I trust both of them (although I would never leave them alone with the kids and nor would I allow them to sleep with them - incase they crushed them for a start!).

I think you have to be very careful. I think Zeus was giving out a warning on this occasion - next time it may be more serious.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2004, 08:56 AM
I never allow my dogs upstairs so no chance of them sleeping on the kids beds however my first staffy bitch would lie down next Louise if she was sleeping on the floor in the livingroom, as kids do when they are about 12 months old or so.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2004, 09:07 AM
I trust my dogs 100% but I don't allow them upstairs or to sleep with my kids.
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2004, 09:23 AM
Same here, my dogs don't go upstairs, they sleep in crates downstairs.
But I trust my 3 Staffies 100%
My kids are 12 and 8 yrs and are always laid about the floor with the dogs, kissing and cuddling them. It's usually the dogs that come and lay on top of them for cuddles.

Mitch.
Ash
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Thank you for your opinions everyone.

We are looking at having Zues Evaluated in his home enviroment.
I will stop him sleeping in the kids room.
I never thought of the Zues thinking he was equal sleeping on the bed.
I just put the Zues on his bed in the room, and when I go to bed I check on them, and a few times caught the Zues on the bed, and thought Awww how sweet.
Shadowboxer, Josh has been helping feed the dogs and gives them the sit command, and they have to sit until the YOURS command is given, which at times can be 10 seconds to 1 minute, they just sit there and stare at him.
And I know alot disagree with what I do, but I have Josh put his hands in their bowls and stir their food while they eat, without even a sideways glance from either dog.
So I don't know, I have said I trust him 100% with the kids, and then this happens.

Well thanks again everyone, I will keep you updated with the outcome.

Regards

Ashley...
Bon
Almost a Veteran

12-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Hi Ash sorry for your problems. I never let my grandson lie or rest on the dog in any manner. Just makes me nervous. I hope all works out for the best.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

12-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Good Luck ash with the home assesment and hope all is ok.

Good advice above re making sure he knows where he is in the pack (i.e at the bottom), eg feed last, last through doors, no on demand attention, no sleeping with 'people', not allowed on sofas/beds etc.
Keep us up to date and take care.
Azz
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >