Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-10-2009, 07:47 PM

Yellow Bile

I would love to know what experiences many of you have had with dogs sicking up yellow bile. I do know it is a common problem with dogs and almost nobody escapes the scurge.

Two of my dogs, a Collie X and an unknown X never sicked up this stuff in all of their 15-16 years.

My two GS`s did. Both of them brought this stuff up periodically throughout their lives.

I must confess, I have not the faintest idea what yellow bile is never having brought the wretched muck up myself. And cannot see why a dog should do it.

It varies from a bright yellow pea soup texture - normal kind of sick discharge, to a thick slimy and viscous substance that sometimes I had to help by pulling it out as the dog had difficulty in getting rid of it from the gullet and mouth.

Quite honestly, it appeared thick enough to choke the dog or cause pressure damage to organs or blood vessels.

Once this spectacle was over, the dog became perfectly normal until the next time.

All I was told is "Oh, it is nothing to worry about, dogs have to get rid of the stuff now and again", even the vet said it. A glib statement that never did satisfy my scientific experience. I still think it is a feature that should not be there and a medical problem requiring proper analysis.

Over to you my friends and I do hope you have some better explanation of this matter than I have been given.

John Bull
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:52 PM
My dog used to do this when he was hungry. It never caused him any problems, and he was always fine after food
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
My dog used to do this when he was hungry. It never caused him any problems, and he was always fine after food
I have also noticed it more so when the dog has missed a meal, or is hungry, I have noticed it mostly in the morning if it happens
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Milo does it because his stomach produces excess acid, so if the stomach becomes empty then he will bring up bile.
I feed him 4 times a day with first meal at 7am and last at 10.30pm, this seems to keep it under control.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 01:26 PM
When I first had her Hannah used to do this first thing in a morning, vet said it was due to my morning feed being later than she was used to & to give her something last thing at night, Have never had a problem since.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
I would love to know what experiences many of you have had with dogs sicking up yellow bile. I do know it is a common problem with dogs and almost nobody escapes the scurge.

Two of my dogs, a Collie X and an unknown X never sicked up this stuff in all of their 15-16 years.

My two GS`s did. Both of them brought this stuff up periodically throughout their lives.

I must confess, I have not the faintest idea what yellow bile is never having brought the wretched muck up myself. And cannot see why a dog should do it.
It varies from a bright yellow pea soup texture - normal kind of sick discharge, to a thick slimy and viscous substance that sometimes I had to help by pulling it out as the dog had difficulty in getting rid of it from the gullet and mouth.

Quite honestly, it appeared thick enough to choke the dog or cause pressure damage to organs or blood vessels.

Once this spectacle was over, the dog became perfectly normal until the next time.

All I was told is "Oh, it is nothing to worry about, dogs have to get rid of the stuff now and again", even the vet said it. A glib statement that never did satisfy my scientific experience. I still think it is a feature that should not be there and a medical problem requiring proper analysis.

Over to you my friends and I do hope you have some better explanation of this matter than I have been given.

John Bull

Stomach acid... the stomach is empty and it produced acid, which results in the dog bring up bile.

To help prevent this, give your dog a bit if supper/biscuit /toast last thing at night ,something to line the stomach.