Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 04:09 PM

Reasons to 'rescue' a hedgehog.

I thought that I would do a little taster of reasons why people have brought hedgehogs into where I work for the past month .

I went into my garden last night, and it was running around so I brought it in.
Ok where and when do you expect to see a hedgehog?

I found it in my shed, so I brought it in and let my kids see it, although I don't think it can uncurl as we had it in for over an hour and it just stayed in a ball.
Ok your kids are 2, 3 and 5, the hog is a wild animal in a strange place surrounded by strange noises, and you expect it to say hello?

I was walking down the road and on the path on the other side I saw a hedgehog, my dog was on lead but I was worried it might hurt it so I brought it in
Well we all know how dangerous a look from a dog can be don't we!

I found it in my haybarn and didn't know what to do with it
The hog probaly just saw a warm place to sleep, I don't think that one needed to come into a wildlife hospital.

It came into my house, I think it knew it was ill and wanted help.
Again its not that warm out, and it saw a open door, why does that mean that its hurt??

I accidently repeatadly hit it with a piece of wood.
How can you 'accidently' hit something repeatadly, just what was this person doing to the poor hog?

I saw it in the woods and when I went up to it, it started growling at me, I don't know what's wrong with it?
Well me thinks its because you went up to it and it wanted you to go away maybe?

There has also been some more, but I've forgotten them.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 04:15 PM
oh I know I shouldn't laugh but some of those were so funny.

I guess though its frustrating for you, but at least these people (apart from the 'accidental repeated hitting ) all acted with good intentions.

We get hedgehogs in our garden quite frequently - luckily after a bit of initial interest, the dogs aren't bothered by them. Mind you, I nearly had a heart attack the other night - up the other end of the garden was what looked like a shredded hodgeheg. I ran over in a panic but was relieved to find it was just the masacred remains of a football (and no, I didn't try taking that in to the animal hospital )
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Yeah I get what you mean, these poeple do think that they are doing their best, although a lot of stress to the hedgehogs could of been avoided if they only caused first and asked for help lol, as although we try to keep it as stress free as possible the hedgehogs do get stressed being there as there is people there which they normally would try and avoid.