Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 03:31 PM

Can dogs pine?

Jamie had been acting odd since we lost Remy... he always had seperation anxiety, none of the others have ever had that just him, he barks incessantly, he looks lost and when we are all here he looks around for his lady, who he really adored and then huddles down and ignores us all..
My poor baby boy, is this normal?... I know he must be picking up on our vibes about losing her and he really was close to the Duchess. I have heard that if they see the dead body they accept, but that isn't possible as she is being cremated.. He also couldn't come with us as we needed her ending to be as peaceful as possible, just us and her...
I hope he can come round soon , he is not himself... Though Codee is trying to coax him round!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Awwww poor little guy, I'm sure they do pine for their lost loved ones Clare, I knowGeorgie did when I lost Cassie even though he was here the whole time (although of course, we kept him in the kitchen when the vet came,Dave cuddled him). Then again the next morning when I went to take Georgie out, he knew where she was, so he went running round there as if to nudge her to come with us I thought it would help him seeing her like that, but I'm sure he didn't cotton on. He was very miserable for a very long while I'm afraid, not to the extent of your Jamie, he didn't seem to be looking for her or anything like that, he just wanted to be on his own, quiet in the kitchen, he didn't even want to be with us in the lounge for a very long time He made some weird noises too when he was laying down, and it really upset me to see him like that, just as I'm sure it is upsetting you.

That's why I started looking for somebody to love him like she did, I couldn't bear to see him so miserable for any longer and the rest is history. If you've got the room Clare, give it time, and find him somebody else to love maybe? When you feel you can of course.xxxxxxx
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Awwww poor little guy, I'm sure they do pine for their lost loved ones Clare, I knowGeorgie did when I lost Cassie even though he was here the whole time (although of course, we kept him in the kitchen when the vet came,Dave cuddled him). Then again the next morning when I went to take Georgie out, he knew where she was, so he went running round there as if to nudge her to come with us I thought it would help him seeing her like that, but I'm sure he didn't cotton on. He was very miserable for a very long while I'm afraid, not to the extent of your Jamie, he didn't seem to be looking for her or anything like that, he just wanted to be on his own, quiet in the kitchen, he didn't even want to be with us in the lounge for a very long time He made some weird noises too when he was laying down, and it really upset me to see him like that, just as I'm sure it is upsetting you.

That's why I started looking for somebody to love him like she did, I couldn't bear to see him so miserable for any longer and the rest is history. If you've got the room Clare, give it time, and find him somebody else to love maybe? When you feel you can of course.xxxxxxx
Aw H, poor Georgie, I remember you saying he was never right once Cassie left but seemed different when Zena arrived...
I suppose he has got Deacon and Codee, but they have hit it off so well ... maybe that is another reason for his depression too?
I can't contemplate getting another dog, I have looked at a rescue site I know that rehomes setters, retrievers etc... but I just blubbed, its too soon for me, plus I have the puppy and she is not quite 12 weeks old. I just hope with time he will come round. Bless his heart.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 04:04 PM
So sorry to hear the little fella is still missing his Remy, they were so close, I suspect you are right in your thoughts that Deacon and Cody are such great mates that he is feeling it more than them.

I know you don't want to get another one yet but maybe, if another oldie needs a home and you get to hear about him/her, you may be able to talk your parents into letting you offer a home and it may be the turning point for him, only you can decide whether you feel you could do this, we all know that you wouldn't be replacing Remy but simply helping a dear old friend live out their last days in complete comfort and surrounded by love.

I know that you will be giving Jamie lots of love, and I wish I could get over sooner to give him some special Auntie Sheree hugs to help him through it all, bless his little heart. Just a month or so and I should be on the mend and back on the road down to see you all xxxx
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
So sorry to hear the little fella is still missing his Remy, they were so close, I suspect you are right in your thoughts that Deacon and Cody are such great mates that he is feeling it more than them.

I know you don't want to get another one yet but maybe, if another oldie needs a home and you get to hear about him/her, you may be able to talk your parents into letting you offer a home and it may be the turning point for him, only you can decide whether you feel you could do this, we all know that you wouldn't be replacing Remy but simply helping a dear old friend live out their last days in complete comfort and surrounded by love.

I know that you will be giving Jamie lots of love, and I wish I could get over sooner to give him some special Auntie Sheree hugs to help him through it all, bless his little heart. Just a month or so and I should be on the mend and back on the road down to see you all xxxx
Thanks Sheree, he would love to see you Re another dog, at the moment I can't, I looked today and feel like crying, I don't want another dog I want her and he does too.... He played with a BC and Cocker Spaniel pup today and then came home and acted odd again We are hoping to move in the next 6 months so maybe if we get somewhere bigger.. I don't know how I would feel if the opportunity came up to rehome a slighter 'mature' setter came up how I would feel... But apparently I was told (by someone we both know )before I got Codee there are no English setter older stock available as that was the route I wanted to go down instead of puppy, but then Codee came about...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Yes, it is normal for dogs to pine...and it has only been a few days.

Even Hoki acted oldly when Kip went, and they weren't even very fond of each other...it really surprised me.

He will settle down in time, and as you say, Codee is doing her best to take his mind off things.

Hugs to you and Jamie.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Yes, it took Molly a good month after we lost Sam. She just was really down, really lost her spark and wouldn't eat. She didn't seem to want extra cuddles or anything just to be left alone and spent hours just lying in the garden.

We got Dizzy after 2 months and had to wait 4 weeks for her to be ready to come home from the Dogs Trust. I spent all that time questioning whether or not I was ready for another and if Moll would accept her but gladly it has worked out fine.

It's still really early days for you and Jamie, I think its just a question of time!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 05:32 PM
When Tess was put to sleep Rosie gradually became reluctant to go out. Two weeks later she stopped eating and couldn't get up. She was put to sleep three weeks after I lost Tess. They were both a good age but although Rosie had been a bit stiff in her back legs she was fine once she was on her feet. I could never have forseen that I would lose her so soon. They were together all their lives and I'm sure she just lost the will to live once her friend had gone.

I would be reluctant to have two so close in age again. It's devastating losing one dog but to lose both together was absolutely terrible.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 07:00 PM
hi,
((hugs))
imo yes dogs 'grieve', when my best friend Dizzy left us,the rest of the pack grieved for him,he was top dog and very respected and i feel they had lost their way slightly,they would not even lay in his bed,they could also read my bodylanguage too .
it took about a month but they did move on,thats the beauty of dogs
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Yes, absolutely.

When we lost Rebel our first GSD, Brandy our Rottie girl pined for him terribly. There was only a few months between them and they adored one another. They slept together, played together and were best buddies.

When he died (he was only 6 months old) she stopped eating, moped around the house all the time looking utterly miserable and would often seem to look for him. We were so worried about her, we decided to get another pup within weeks of this happening (even though we weren't really ready emotionally ourselves) and got Jasper our second GSD boy.

He certainly helped her get over the grief and she snapped out of the 'depression' - but she never did let him sleep in her bed like Rebel did.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >