Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 09:59 AM

Poor Sick Chook

My mum has a very poorly chook, and as im house/dog sitting for her, i am in charge of looking after her! So fingers crossed everything goes ok.

Little chooky came in for her tea after a normal day in the garden/paddock last week (tuesday i think) with her front completely ripped open. No idea what happened, but her breastbone was sticking out, it was that bad Presumably a fox or something tried to grab her and for some reason didnt manage to carry her away..

Anyway, took her to the vet assuming they would have to put her to sleep, but he was pretty optimistic that he could fix her. So he's stitched her up and she's on antibiotics and we have to keep it clean and bandaged (thank god she is so calm and tame or it'd be a nightmare!!) and at the moment, she seems to be recovering well. For the first few days her little crest thingy was flopping over and pale and her tail was down, but now the crest is perfect and bright red and her tail is back up. She's eating well, pecking around the garden and even running up to the house when i go out!

So fingers crossed she will pull through, but she is still a very unwell little baby...

Here's a pic of her all bandaged up, bless her!