Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-10-2009, 05:21 PM

Congealed blood in my dogs faeces.

My 11 year olg greyhound had an unsettled night. Pacing. I spent the night near her and her stomach was rumbling loudly. This often happens so I put it down to maybe something she ate.
She munched a lot of grass and had an upset stomach this morning.
I've just taken her out and again she had an upset stomach (not violent) and I noticed what looks like congealed blood in amoung the watery faeces.
She ate a bit of food on her return and drank a bit of water.

Should I be really concerned (I am)? How urgent could it be?
I aim to keep an eye on her for the next day and maybe goto vets when they open again on Monday.

Any advice please?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
My 11 year olg greyhound had an unsettled night. Pacing. I spent the night near her and her stomach was rumbling loudly. This often happens so I put it down to maybe something she ate.
She munched a lot of grass and had an upset stomach this morning.
I've just taken her out and again she had an upset stomach (not violent) and I noticed what looks like congealed blood in amoung the watery faeces.
She ate a bit of food on her return and drank a bit of water.

Should I be really concerned (I am)? How urgent could it be?
I aim to keep an eye on her for the next day and maybe goto vets when they open again on Monday.

Any advice please?
hi,poor girlie
what colour was the blood? fresh or dark?
is she on any meds?
if she is ok in herself otherwise and is not being sick, i would not feed her for 24 hours to give her tummy a rest,then boil either white fish or skinless chicken to give her in small portions,fresh water available at all times
eta...i see you fed her,d + is the gut working overtime,you will just add fuel to the fire.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 07:00 PM
aw, you must be so worried. i worry about everything with jake.

i hope she gets better and its nothing (((hugs)))
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2009, 05:01 AM
I agree with Tupacs2legs. I wouldn't feed her for 24 hours and then try some fresh chicken or white fish and rice or pasta (all gentle on the tummy).

That said, if she carries on passing blood in her faeces then I would contact the out-of-hours vet for at least some advice and reassurance.

Hope your girl is feeling better soon.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Any blood in faeces is always alarming. I hope it's nothing serious x
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 07:06 AM
One of my Boxers used to have episodes of this and when I took him to vet he got antibiotics and something to settle his stomach.

After he had had a couple of episodes I started no food for 24 hours and then light diet and it cleared up. If your girl isn't better after that or you are worried I'd see the vet.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanx for all your replies.

She had a more settled night last night (as did I).
This morning her stools were solid and a bit of blood was noticed in the first part of the first stool of the morning.
The rest was clear of blood.

I will monitor her next lot. But i think that indicates it is clearing up.
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
It could be the start of Colitis, we had that sort of trouble with Amber poo more like jelly and blood in it. Took her to the vets told us to feed her on chicken and rice for a few days. She was OK for a while then it started again, blood test this time proved it was Colitis.
I would take her to the vets if it happens again.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Briard Lover View Post
It could be the start of Colitis, we had that sort of trouble with Amber poo more like jelly and blood in it. Took her to the vets told us to feed her on chicken and rice for a few days. She was OK for a while then it started again, blood test this time proved it was Colitis.
I would take her to the vets if it happens again.
Thanks. Did colitis effect Amber's night time sleep? Foxy keeps getting up every half an hour. At 3 am she needs to be let out to empty her bowels. Her stools are of good quality though.
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Thanks. Did colitis effect Amber's night time sleep? Foxy keeps getting up every half an hour. At 3 am she needs to be let out to empty her bowels. Her stools are of good quality though.

Yes she did sometimes 2 or 3 times a night and had to dash outside, but what she did was mainly firm but the amount was enough for an elephant sometime with traces of blood but not all the time.

She is now on a strict diet, and as long as we keep her to it she is fine, she can't have fruit or veg any more.

She is 11 now and has had Colitis for nearly 3 years.