Our sister sites
Our sister sites
taniamiff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2009, 03:27 PM

Feeding - food and frequency

Hi

Bear who is now 12 weeks old is currently being feed on eukanuba puppy, 3 times a day.

I have not previously used eukanuba before but have continued with it as that is what he was feed at the breeders. I am at a point where I will need to buy another sack at the weekend and wondered if I should change his food to something else or continue with eukanuba. He appears to be doing well on it and polishes it off. Is Eukanuba considered to be a good food?

Also, Bear is currently having three meals a day. I was wondering when I should be thinking about going down to two? During the week when I am at work, I leave half of it in his bowl and scatter the other half around the garden for him to find. I know this is not ideal but on the days that my Dad is unable to pop in to see him I thought it would be the best option. At the weekend he has his lunch at around 13.30.

Another question ..... when do most people change from puppy food to adult food?

Sorry for all the questions and I look forward to your replies.
Tania
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Those that judge a food by how good the ingredients sound to them, don't like it. 5 years ago the assistance dog school we have raised puppies for was feeding it with very good results. They have since switched to Iams made by the same company and perhaps mostly differing in price. In the automotive industry that is called badge engineering. Many will insist that this or that is better, but won't have much to go on but anecdotes and speculation. I would stick with the Eukanuba rather than chase alleged benefits of more expensive foods.

I think most people stick to the dog food manufacturers' recommendation of puppy food to a year. Those that know larger breeds best, the service dog schools, switch earlier, often 4 months. As far as I know, puppy chow only hurts the owner's pocketbook for dogs less than 50 pounds as adults.

How many meals a day? A large dog guide school says 3 meals to 3 months and cut back to one after 6 months. Smaller dogs may need to eat more often.