Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 07:56 AM

I want a cat!

We had to have our cat put down a few years ago, she was 17.

I've seen a kitten that I have fallen in love with.
I've never fallen in love with a cat since my own was PTS, but now i've seen one!!

I think Teagan would be ok with it at home, it's Fin I am worried about as she has such a high prey drive - she notices EVERYTHING that moves, and gets so worked up.

Damn dog!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 12:58 PM
you would be better with one a little bit older who can stand up 4 itself and knows to get outta d way
CPL have a branch in preston
ATD x
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
you would be better with one a little bit older who can stand up 4 itself and knows to get outta d way
CPL have a branch in preston
ATD x
Theres loads of rescues round here, but I can't have one at all, because of Fin!
Teagan also wouldn't accept an adult in the house! She doesn't mind babies (doesn't matter what species!)

But alas, it's not to be!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 11:12 PM
awww thats a shame
ATD x
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 07:10 AM
You'd be surprised at how they take to tiny kittens. Our collie had a high prey drive, but with our kitten at the time he was as soft as butter, after a couple of swipes on the nose from 2lb kitten
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Is Finn's high prey drive just the chase or do you know if she would kill if she succeeded in catching it?

Given the opportunity both Hoki and Stumpy will chase anything that moves yet put face to face with whatever they are chasing, they have no intention of killing. Hoki will chase any cat that runs yet she used to live happily with my old cat Halibut....mind you, he wasn't scared of any dog and could put her in her place with just a look.

Stumpy has brought me back the odd rabbit though I'm pretty sure they were already dead when she got them. She also once brought me back a live mouse that was fine and just ran away when I told her to leave it. yet the one or two cats that haven't run from Stumpy, she is just very curious and wants to sniff them.

So, if you think it is all about the chase, I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a cat. However, if you think she'd follow through with a kill, it probably isn't the best idea.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 07:27 AM
I would Fin would deffinately bite (She bit my rabbit) - I've never let it get far enough for her to kill something! But I don't want to try, because i'd never be able to forgive myself

Teagan is very laid back, and will play with kittens in a house, yet chase cats in the street! She seems to know whats 'hers', if you know what I mean!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I would Fin would deffinately bite (She bit my rabbit) - I've never let it get far enough for her to kill something! But I don't want to try, because i'd never be able to forgive myself

Teagan is very laid back, and will play with kittens in a house, yet chase cats in the street! She seems to know whats 'hers', if you know what I mean!
No, I can understand that, if she has bitten a small furry, I don't think I'd try it either.

Such a shame.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Shame for you but well done for being sensible. So many people would have "tried it out" first and then had to rehome the cat (or dog!!).
I am sure you will get your cat one day x