View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 01:31 PM

Pictures from our holiday in the Lake District (feat. Woody, ESS 1 year old) *heavy*

On Friday 4 September we left for our long awaited special holiday in the Lake District.

We'd hired a cottage out on Lake Coniston to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and Woody's first birthday, on the Saturday.

We arrived in good time to find a beautiful cottage waiting for us lit up by glorious sunshine, with a little garden, whirlpool bath, open fire and easy access down to a private part of the lake:

The second floor was a huge bonus for Woody because it had a "Woody Window'' where he would sit for ages staring at all the birds in the meadow opposite:

We took Woody straight down to the lake where he swam and swam and swam, and a love affair was born:

On the Saturday we got up and opened Woody's birthday pressies. He got a soft toy, an Orbee world ball, an Orbee glow in the dark frisbee and some very lovely handmade pottery bowls. What a spoilt puppy:

But that evening it was all about us. Neil sneaked upstairs and surprised me with a rose petal bath in the whirlpool bath and a bucket of champagne, which helped wash down the salmon and crab Blinis I had made for us! We then had a very romantic picnic by the fire:

On Sunday we went and picked up the kayak and spent the day messing about on the lake. Initially we were not sure it was going to work. Woody just kept jumping off into the water and we were very wet on the first day! Eventually we sussed out that if Neil sat up front and paddled, I could sit at the back and hold on to Woody's life jacket, which worked fine until we paddled passed some ducks, swans, a buoy or two or anything else for that matter ;o):

Monday morning we were joined by Lynne (Benzmum), Stuart and Ben for tea and cake by the lake. The boys had a great time chasing sticks and swimming (paddling in Ben's case) in the lake. Ben had a new stick for the water, that sank immediately but it was funny watching him try and get it out without getting his head under water. He is absolutely adorable and has made such an amazing recovery. It was so heart warming to see him jumping and running about as if it had never happened. Woody as always was focused on nothing but his dummy and fetching it out of the lake:

After they left we jumped back into the kayak and went off down the lake for a picnic. We found this lovely little spot right on the edge of Grizedale Forest and sat in a sunny spot to eat our sandwiches looking out over the lake:

Tuesday was true to the Lake District with heavy rain, all day! Neil made it great though because he took me to Beatrix Potter's house, Hill Top for some sightseeing, Peter Rabbit spotting and to buy part of my anniversary gift, some of the collection of books she wrote. We then went into Ambleside and had lunch at Lucy's of Ambleside, famous for her amazing home cooked food and deli.

We were awake by 5am on Weds with a very poorly puppy and our hands, sickness and (a) dire rear so we spent the morning getting to know our local vet ;o) That afternoon we went for a short walk around the cottage and read our books by the fire.

On Thursday, our last full day we got up early and went of to do one of the walks we'd heard about, 5 miles from Coniston to Hawkshead via the Yewdale Valley and Tarn Hows. It took four hours and was very heavy going but we absolutely loved it. The scenery was spectacular with woodland and streams and the magnificent Tom Gill waterfall that we climbed all the way down! After that we stopped off for a well earned cream tea at Yew Dale Farm, owned by Beatrix Potter and featured in the movie, Miss Potter. Woody loved the ducks they had!:

We spent the last few hours of daylight on the kayak, messing about on the lake, where I have never felt happier:

Neil even joined Woody for a swim, doggy paddle of course ;o):

We all had a brilliant time and have come away fresh, happy, relaxed and very in love with the Lake District!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Aww ,looks like a fab time was had by all. Lovely, lovely pics! How I need a break

Glad you had such a lovely time and hope Woody's tum is now recovered!!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 02:18 PM
oh that loooks fab

was the lake right at the bottom of your garden???

i want to go it looks amazing
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Stunning pictures Glad you all had a fab time. Happy Belated 1st Wedding anniversary, and 1st Birthday to Woody too x
carleyaves
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2009, 02:27 PM
ooooh i am envious...... what a lovely place to stay and what a great hubby!! rose petals, candles, champagne..... lucky you.
oh and of course what a great springy spaniel, belated birthday wuffs woody.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 02:30 PM
That looks amazing!!!! How fabulous....i am very jealous!!
Tho the seduction scene made me chuckle, lol
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Looks fab - glad the weather turned out well for you!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Looks like you all had a wonderful time.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Great pics Em and glad you made it to Tarn Hows - fabulous place. It was great to meet you guys at your lovely cottage and down by the Lake was great fun. Ben says a special thanks for retrieving his stick more often than he did!!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Looks amazing, glad you had such a good time.
Hope Woody is better now.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >