Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-09-2009, 03:39 PM

Nettles and dogs

Do dogs get stung by nettles, the reason i ask is because TJ seems to like squatting over them to do a poo, with obvious results when i try to pick it up with a poo bag, and while out today playing, flag threw his ball in to a patch of nettles, i went to get a stick to fish it out but he just stuck his nose in and grabbed it, with not a flinch.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 03:41 PM
They don't seem to bother my dogs. My friend's black lab ALWAYS poos over a patch of nettles
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I've always wondered that too but mine seem to be quite happy to stick their faces in nettles so I guess not
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Earlier in the year when the nettles were just starting to grow me and mine went tramping over them. Me assuming that they wouldnt get stung. On getting home my dogs werent happy very sore pads and between their toes nettle stings. So it is possible.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I was talking to the vet about this, and he said that the nettles would only sting a dog on exposed skin, e.g. belly (if your dog is short haired) and wouldn't irritate the dog as much as they irritate humans
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Our dog plays "chase the golf ball" and is very wary of nettles - but if he can't resist going in to find the ball amongst nettles he really rubs his face and nose in the grass when he gets home so I think he must get stung a little bit.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2009, 01:25 PM
My jrt hates nettles and always avoids them where possible, my gsd on the other hand couldn't care less.
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Robbie got stung round his eye last week, I bathed it a few times in warm water when we got home and apart from him rubbing it a few times, it was ok after an hour or so. He hasn't learnt though and caught him last night sticking his head in a clump to have a sniff at something!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Yes my shar pei used to swell up like a balloon with them, so if we walked woods or canals, after the walk Ialways rubbed her down with doke leaves...
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 03:39 PM
They sting my poor little JRT terribly and if he stands on one he is limping for ages afterwards.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >