Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 03:04 PM

Scary dog walk

I drove to the garage this morning with Woody in the back to drop the car off for abit of work, thinking we could have a nice long walk back together and then again to go and collect it.

It was a different area than I usually walk him in so I was feeling abit unsure anyway but tried not to think about it and enjoy the walk.

After a while I sensed someone behind me and saw a man walking. I carried on as normal and thought about making a subtle turn as the area was deserted and I felt uneasy. The next minute he was right up close to me, almost touching my shoulder. I turned around and he said ''walking the dog alone are you?'' and smiled this creepy smile!

I muttered that I was just off to the park to meet my husband from work (we're near a RAF base) and walked on really fast.

As he was still behind me I stopped to fiddle with Woody's lead until he'd over taken me.

He walked on but slowly and he looked behind a few times.

I'm sure there was nothing in it but it scared the hell out of me!!

Anyone else had something similar happen? I've been jittery all afternoon.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Creepy. I would have been freaked out too.

One thing you could do next time (if such a thing ever happens again..) is turn around directly to the person behind you and start 'chatting' on your mobile. The man may well have been perfectly innocent but you can never be too sure these days. If you don't play the victim you are far less of a target; confidence is everything.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 03:23 PM
It's a bit un-nerving when that happens.

I had something similar happen to me. On my way to the Corkscrew (local road on the way to the woods) with Dougal, I was walking over the grass and this fella was walking towards the houses behind me. Then he suddenly switched and started following me, I was a little un-nerved but didn't really get nervous till I started walking up the hill and he followed me up. Unless you have a dog or live up there there's no real need to be up there. Now I know most of the people who live up the Corkscrew and he wasn't one of them.

Just as I was getting ready to call my hubby, a friend drove by and stopped to say hello. All of a sudden my follower changed direction and went back down the way he came.

Needless to say, I found a very large stick when I got to the woods and went round at a rate of knots.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Gladly if I have Molly with me this sort of thing doesn't happen. She really isn't keen on being followed and the instant I feel nervous and it transfers down the lead she goes into low growling mode. So anyone following would have to be off their rocker to even approach me.

What a fright for you tho , very glad you made it home safely.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Well I've been accosted many times, flashed at the lot. Though never since having the dobies, could just be I'm now ancient and not worth bothering though I have always carried a chain lead doubled up on itself, with the clasp attached near the handle and wouldn't hesitate to use it. It's the only reason I carry it, it hangs from my wrist and is clasped in my hand if that makes sense, the dogs are rarely on lead and when they are its a fabric one.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
It's a bit un-nerving when that happens.

I had something similar happen to me. On my way to the Corkscrew (local road on the way to the woods) with Dougal, I was walking over the grass and this fella was walking towards the houses behind me. Then he suddenly switched and started following me, I was a little un-nerved but didn't really get nervous till I started walking up the hill and he followed me up. Unless you have a dog or live up there there's no real need to be up there. Now I know most of the people who live up the Corkscrew and he wasn't one of them.

Just as I was getting ready to call my hubby, a friend drove by and stopped to say hello. All of a sudden my follower changed direction and went back down the way he came.Needless to say, I found a very large stick when I got to the woods and went round at a rate of knots.
I think that friend was sent by your guardian angel there Lore!!!

I get this a lot, coz it's so remote and so quiet where and when I walk, and if they've got dogs I drop my guard, but if not (like the other morning at 6.30 am) I changed direction and went back up the hill, you just can't be too careful out in remote areas like this. The worst thing happened last Saturday morning when I was in some very big and very dark woods with a friend of mine walking our dogs, not a soul about, we were sooooo deep into those woods I'm glad she knew the way, and then from out of nowhere, comes this young guy on a 4-wheel bike thingy (forgotten what they're called!) he drove straight up to us, he was covered from head to toe in special clothing, including a big helmet that you couldn't see anything of his face he stopped right in front of us......... then he reached down and turned the engine off and just sat there...... now I don't mind admitting I almost c*apped myself, the things that went through my mind, two women alone deep into the woods I almost got to the point of trembling and silly me, I should have been thinking of my next move!!!! I didn't have to coz, as he just sat there, my friend piped up with "oh, hello Andrew" and then he took his helmet off, and he was a cute little 16 year old, the farmer's son, who she knew, who was out hunting his two whippets that had escaped the night before!!! PHew!!!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Gladly if I have Molly with me this sort of thing doesn't happen. She really isn't keen on being followed and the instant I feel nervous and it transfers down the lead she goes into low growling mode. So anyone following would have to be off their rocker to even approach me.

What a fright for you tho , very glad you made it home safely.
same with Tupac(as with molly),as he's at that age now and most people are wary of flea(but they dont realise hes's more likely to run and wet himself lol. )
many a strange person in london i would do as advised,either ignore(no eye contact)pretend to be on the phone or...get wood's on a lead and say 'oh hi.sorry i wouldnt come too close,my dogs a bit unpredictable around strangers' turn the opposite direction and walk off.
scare over tho....your both back home safe(i'm glad)
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 03:47 PM
I hope you are feeling better Pidge. There are some odd people about, it makes me angry when we have to live in fear of these creeps.

I also walk in a very remote place, I just hope that me and four lunatic basenjis would put anyone off. I didn't ever worry with my afghans because Khyle although a very friendly dog would not have let anyone touch me, he was very protective, I do miss that.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Ooooo scarey, I would have had brown trousers.
Did you have your phone with you? I think labradorks idea is a good one. You only have to pretend to scare them to death.
Good luck Em and take care
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 03:54 PM

yay!! 1000 posts (either sad or mad or both or what?!)

sorry Pidge et all i noticed the number and just couldnt resist
oh no......... im almost a VETERAN!! now im sad and wished i hadnt posted this......im sure it will get deleted anyway...sorry admin too.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >