Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 09:04 PM

"Send in the Dogs" - Pit bulls

Did anyone see tonight's episode of Send in the Dogs? Two pit bull types were seized and put to sleep when their owners didn't turn up to collect them and the dogs were found to be pit bull types

I really don't know how I feel about it. Obviously pit bulls are illegal and therefore anyone owning such a dog is breaking the law. However, it is just so sad that these poor dogs have to pay the ultimate price (no matter what their temperament) for being bred and owned by idiots
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Did anyone see tonight's episode of Send in the Dogs? Two pit bull types were seized and put to sleep when their owners didn't turn up to collect them and the dogs were found to be pit bull types

I really don't know how I feel about it. Obviously pit bulls are illegal and therefore anyone owning such a dog is breaking the law. However, it is just so sad that these poor dogs have to pay the ultimate price (no matter what their temperament) for being bred and owned by idiots
Thats the bit that frightens me.....a pitbull type could be anything.

All the dogs should be given a fair trial and temperment test at the least.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm probally going to upset a few people here, but I watched it and felt very sad, especially with that Lady Officer, who seemed to condemn them before being proved guilty. I understood what she meant when she said ''having seen what happens to them when being used for fighting etc'' but the way she said ''I have no quarms about this type of dog being PTS, I thought was abit strong.

We live in a day and age where there are dogs of many breeds who can be dangerous in the wrong hands, and once more we seem to see more and more dogs being put to sleep, because they are reared/owned by idiots.

I wish there was a law that put these idiots to sleep to be honest.
Here where we live we are plaqued with idiots, all owning bull breeds, what the dogs seem to learn is through them that own them, basically I feel they are actually cowards, and need the dog to be macho, I am sure without the dog they would run.

The second dog that they caught as a stray, I wondered whether with being trapped and seeing camera etc., was that more scared, most dogs will show aggression faced with strangers cornering it.

And that first one.....well he was just a baby, again loosing it's life because of being a mixed bull breed.

I wished we could of seen the dogs being assessed, rather than just being told at the end....well they weren't claimed and it was decided that they were a bullbreed so PTS'd
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Hasn`t there been moves recently to change the law?
TBH I`m very wary of pitbulls. My GSD was savaged by one and nearly lost a leg some years ago. Apparently the number of dog-fighting gangs is on the increase. So while I fully support `deed not breed` I think we need to accompany any change in the law with more rigorous policing. At the moment the dogs are being `blamed` for a very human crime.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I'm probally going to upset a few people here, but I watched it and felt very sad, especially with that Lady Officer, who seemed to condemn them before being proved guilty. I understood what she meant when she said ''having seen what happens to them when being used for fighting etc'' but the way she said ''I have no quarms about this type of dog being PTS, I thought was abit strong.

We live in a day and age where there are dogs of many breeds who can be dangerous in the wrong hands, and once more we seem to see more and more dogs being put to sleep, because they are reared/owned by idiots.

Here where we live we are plaqued with idiots, all owning bull breeds, what the dogs seem to learn is through them that own them, basically I feel they are actually cowards, and need the dog to be macho, I am sure without the dog they would run.

The second dog that they caught as a stray, I wondered whether with being trapped and seeing camera etc., was that more scared, most dogs will show aggression faced with strangers cornering it.

And that first one.....well he was just a baby, again loosing it's life because of being a mixed bull breed.

I wished we could of seen the dogs being assessed, rather than just being told at the end....well they weren't claimed and it was decided that they were a bullbreed so PTS'd
I saw this programme too and I could not have put it better myself so for brevity I echo what Steph has said and said well too!!!!! Well done mate
Elaine xxxx
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 09:37 PM
i don't think they had any option as having designated the dogs pit bull types they would have been unable to rehome them legally.

didn't see the programme.

rune
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post

I felt exactly the same way and didnt like that police woman at all, she actually said - this dog breed are dangerous and unpredictable and was generalising the whole breed ! Both dogs looked relatively easy to handle - the second dog was clearly terrified and had it been such a vicious dog it would have launched itself at the police officer at the fence not just barked at him.

I couldnt agree with your comments more and this program tonight made me very sad.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-08-2009, 09:45 PM
I didn't see the programme but any 'type' dog that is an unclaimed stray is doomed. As has been said it cannot be rehomed as ownership cannot be transfered on a 'type' dog nor can it be registered on the Index of Exempted dogs because that can only be done if there is an owner who applies for that. No owner = no chance.

Dogs that are dangerous should, as a last resort, be destroyed. Determining which dogs are dangerous can only be done by temperament assessment. To say a dog is dangerous because it looks a certain way is moronic.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

Yes , I watched it, and what came out of it , was the scale of the problem, we have with these people who breed these dogs.. and the inevatable end for the dogs that are seized.

The first one, yes it was only a bady, and I have no doubt for one mimute that if that dog had stayed in the owners hands, he would have ended up in the fighting ring.

Did you see where he tried to con the police woman into letting him say goodbye.. and tried to let it go.

The shame is , the dogs pay the price, and although what that police woman said , may sound harsh... I can understand her feelings...after all she is the one on the front line, and sees these things every day.

Same with the second one, I agree the dog was backed into a corner by the police, and may not have been so aggressive, (although it looked terrified to me) but again, they have to air on the side of caution...

Yes two pit types where PTS..better than being claimed dont you think, and ending up back where they where intended to be.. in the ring .
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I watched it and thought that policewoman you're talking about looked a darn sight more scary than the dog she put in the van!
And why the blinking heck didn't they arrest the chap with it? Idiots on both sides.

Enjoyed seeing the dogs reunited with their handler after her hols - and laughed at the dog hiding under the bed with the ball. I have one that does that too
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »