Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 09:04 PM

season

hi,
suki has been in season for 2 weeks (bleeding) her and my male dog have been tied a few times over the last couple of days he is castrated.
When will she be safe to walk on lead?
Im wanting to take her to a dog show next sunday.
Thanks
ATD x
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2009, 09:44 PM
A bitch's season last approximately 21 days, they are normally fertile in this period at some point between day 11 and 14 - though others do go later (one of my own was mated on day 18 and 20 of her season). I personally would not be taking a bitch to a show unless she was well over her season, like around 28 days after she first showed colour.

One other thing, i know that your dog is castrated - but do you realise how much damage could occur to both of them if he is allowed to mate with her? Or the increased risks of infection to both of them? they should really be seperated whilst she is in season,
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Yes, good points Kate.
Steven_L
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-08-2009, 11:52 PM
I agree with KateM.

To lessen the torment of the poor male dog, you might want to try to mask the scent. According the Dog Owner Vet. Handbook, chlorophyll tablets may mask the scent, but you can only get them through your vet. It doesn't hurt to ask.