Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 01:53 PM

What would you do.....

or advise someone to do.

one of the girls in the office has the day off. She's just phoned to say that she's stuck in her car outside her flat because one of the other residents allows her rotti to roam free in the common areas. The dog is barking/growling at her when she tries to get in the building.

I didn't speak to her, but not sure what I'd have said. Even the softest dogs can be totally different if protecting their teritory (which this dog may well feel he/she is).

Her colleague who took the call told her to phone the police. I'm worried now what will happen to the dog if she does

Stupid, thoughtless owner putting her dog in potential jeodopy
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Some owners have no sense. Its not the dog's fault but, you're right, its the one who'll be blamed.
Is there no way she could have got in touch with the owner?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 02:00 PM
breed is irrelevant... id still phone the police....

stupid owners...
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-07-2009, 02:02 PM
It is a shame all the the ways dogs suffer for stupid owners.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Phone the police or dog warden, if she knows the dog is aggressive.

Otherwise can someone not get in touch with the owner
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
Some owners have no sense. Its not the dog's fault but, you're right, its the one who'll be blamed.
Is there no way she could have got in touch with the owner?
Unfortunately not. You know what the Edinburgh tennaments are like - particularly those rented out - half the time you don't even know your neighbours name let alone know how to contact them.

Originally Posted by suze View Post
breed is irrelevant... id still phone the police....

stupid owners...
I don't agree the breed is totally irrelevent but I'm not trying to give rottis a bad name (if you look at previous threads you'll see how much I love Shona's).

But put it like this - if it had been a yorkshire terrier, I'd have said 'just walk past and if it comes for you use your foot to keep it away'. I would not give the same advice for trying to pass a rotti.

Originally Posted by Labman View Post
It is a shame all the the ways dogs suffer for stupid owners.
I know . I do wonder though whether she realises how protective her dog is when she's not there. If it is usually a big cuddle monster, she may have no idea that he/she is causing problems. Having said that - its hardly the best place to leave your dog - anything could happen to it.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Phone the police or dog warden, if she knows the dog is aggressive.

Otherwise can someone not get in touch with the owner
She doesn't know for sure that the dog is aggressive, but its actions are extremely intimidating and even with my dog knowledge, I don't think I'd risk it...though I may have a better idea than her how 'real' the threat was.

Unfortunatley she has no way of contacting the dog's owner. She's been sitting outside waiting for well over an hour.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 02:42 PM
B*gger. I think I would tell her to ring the police or dog warden. She shouldn't take any chances, just incase the dog is aggressive.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 02:55 PM
UPDATE...

Well my colleague didn't ring the police (she doesn't want any trouble) so she waited some more and the owner has now came back.

Colleague explained to the owner and asker her not to leave the dog in the common parts again - woman said 'ok' but apparently without any concern and no real conviction.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see whether it happens again.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 05:42 PM
I think i'd have probably tried to get a look at said dog myself from a safe distance and gauge it's behaviour and if I thought I could, then move it to a safe place. Maybe just me then.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I think i'd have probably tried to get a look at said dog myself from a safe distance and gauge it's behaviour and if I thought I could, then move it to a safe place. Maybe just me then.
The thought did cross my mind whether I should go round but by the time I was told about it, she'd already been told to phone the police, so I thought I'd have been too late.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >