Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 10:32 PM

CDRM - between generations

Hi,

I can't say why, but was just wanting to know... if a dog has CDRM what are the chances of it being passed to his offspring?

Ie. What percentage roughly?

Are there any tests you can do to see if a dog is likely to get it later on or do you just have to wait and see?

Also, I know there is no treatment but is there any early measure you can take before it shows itself to reduce the impact of the disease later on?

Thanks.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Normal (N/N): This dog can only transmit the normal gene to its offspring, and it is unlikely that this dog or its offspring will ever develop DM.
Carrier (A/N): While it is highly unlikely this dog will ever develop DM, this dog can transmit either the normal gene or the mutated gene to its offspring.
At-Risk (A/A): Dogs testing At-Risk (A/A) can only pass the mutated gene on to their offspring.
Breeds that can be tested through OFA: Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Boxers, Standard Poodles, German Shepherds, Cardigan Welsh Corgis, and Pembroke Welsh Corgis.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I cannot help with regards to it being passed on generation to generation I only know what it feels like to be the owner of a dog affected.

My Jasper got diagnosed with this disease and it was the hardest thing I ever dealt with, From the brain down to the mid-section he was the same dog, but from ribs onwards he was a different dog He was until that point as healthy as a horse, even the day we drove him to the vets to get PTS, he was crying with excitement thinking he was going off somewhere nice

It's a dreadful, debilitating illness,
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks guys.

AnneMarie, I know it's a horrid disease...I'm so sorry to hear about your Jasper.
I know a dog with it and also know his offspring and the owners of the offspring are concerned for their dog.

Thanks again.