Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 11:24 AM

Makes me think....

At the hospice on Wednesday I was chatting with a few of the guests. One guy has motor-neurone disease (in his early 40s). He's in a wheel chair and has lost the use of his hands.

He and his wife moved to where I live because they love the great outdoors, now he's in a wheelchair and hasn't got long to live.

I asked him if he wanted some cake, but he said no, he would like a chocolate lime. I had to unwrap it for him and pop it into his mouth.

He's such a nice man and it made me think I take so much in my life for granted. He can't even feed himself and I was upset this morning because I was tired.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 11:29 AM
I know.... I started to whinge to my OH about how tired I was last night, and the fact that I have to be at work etc...

Then I thought about Hevvur, and the fact that she is actually ill and going through horrible treatment for the 2nd time and I thought that I should count myself lucky that it's only tiredness and not anything else
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 03:52 PM
I was diagnosed with a brain tumour about 8 years ago and given 2 weeks to live. When I started to get better, I really appreciated every little thing, but now I've started to go back into my old way of taking stuff for granted.

But I think working at the hospice is getting me back into my previous way of thinking.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 04:19 PM
I used to be a palliative carer & I try to never take anything for granted. When I'm feeling down, the first thing I remind myself is "I'm healthy" it stops me feeling sorry for myself & reminds me you only get one chance at life so make the best of it.
I can't even imagine how it must feel to be given 2 weeks to live.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Tillymint, that's such a worthwhile job. I'm getting so much out of working with people with life limiting illnesses.

I'm thinking it might be the field I'll go into once I'm qualified.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 07:09 PM
You are right we all take things for granted when we are well.
And some people have such a lot to cope with. I often remind myself to appreciate things more!!! Cos i moan about stupid things!!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Tillymint, that's such a worthwhile job. I'm getting so much out of working with people with life limiting illnesses.

I'm thinking it might be the field I'll go into once I'm qualified.

It's difficult not to become emotionally attached though - I often came home in tears.
But there are times of course when a peaceful ending is........ well peaceful (I don't know what other word to use)
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 10:51 PM
You're so right about taking things for granted. I feel rotten just now but at least I know it will get better sometime. When I was in hospital there was a young woman on the ward,who'd been there for 12 weeks already. She'd had most of her bowel removed and her bladder and now there were more problems so back for another operation. I didn't even know you could have your bladder removed.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 07:16 AM
yes it dos make you think dosnt it . can happen to anyone . im in my 40s life is so short and shorter for others . his poor wife .