Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 06:03 PM

Play Time!

How does your dog usually play?

Is he/she the type to lie quietly and chew? Charge about the house with toy in mouth? Drop it in your lap inviting you to play fetch or catch? Or does he/she like to lie down and pluck the thing to oblivion?

Also, do you play tug with your dog? Woody loves it but I'm always nervous since our friends spaniel was paralysed!

Also, while we're at it, list your dog's 3 favourite toys.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 06:08 PM
my two play together involves sadie beating yoda up! but if sadie plays on her own she tends to throw toys round and follow them pawing at them then sneaks off to destroy said toy!
her fave toys are...
tennis ball - nothing comes close to bettering this!
rope toy
any squeeker!

how did your friends dog end up paralyised through tuggy?
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post

Is he/she the type to lie quietly and chew? Charge about the house with toy in mouth? Drop it in your lap inviting you to play fetch or catch? Or does he/she like to lie down and pluck the thing to oblivion?
Also, do you play tug with your dog? Woody loves it but I'm always nervous since our friends spaniel was paralysed!

All of above - though I think favourite is to pluck anything she gets her paws on to oblivion! I like that expression
She also loves to tug her wubba but I don't allow it for long.
favourite toys:
1) Ball
2) anybody's shoes left lying around! (especially Birkenstocks )
3) cat (real cat not a toy!)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
my two play together involves sadie beating yoda up! but if sadie plays on her own she tends to throw toys round and follow them pawing at them then sneaks off to destroy said toy!
her fave toys are...
tennis ball - nothing comes close to bettering this!
rope toy
any squeeker!

how did your friends dog end up paralyised through tuggy?
No, but it happened through play. Running, knocked back etc. Scary stuff!!

Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
All of above - though I think favourite is to pluck anything she gets her paws on to oblivion! I like that expression
She also loves to tug her wubba but I don't allow it for long.
favourite toys:
1) Ball
2) anybody's shoes left lying around! (especially Birkenstocks )
3) cat (real cat not a toy!)
My husband always says he'd be a crap gundog, although he would bring it back plucked and ready to cook!! ;o)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 06:28 PM
We play with Cosmo a lot, with his tug toy. When out on a free run he wants something thrown most of the time...and if he doesn't want it thrown then he carries it...air kong balls and fetch sticks and wubbas are his favs when out. In the house he loves his tug ropes...he also loves his cuddly toys though, his strawberry is a fav (and is the reason we go to Crufts now as we can only get them there) and his mini cooper car!!! He carries them and occassionally plucks them but nothing too serious.
He adores his kong and stuffed sterile bones...and his dog pyramid and buster cube..but he only has them when we are not in!
When Tango arrived she had never played with a toy She would retrieve an airkong stick but that was it. She now instigates a game of tug with the rope with the others (but not us) and has also started to carry a cuddly round occassionally.
She also now has a treat ball and kong for when we are not in, which she loves and I watched her nick Cosmo's dog pyramid when I came in the other day and she played with it She shall be getting one of her own soon.

We stuff sterile bones with pasta for Biffters...he was always a one toy dog...a ball, but the vet banned them because of his joints
He will, if feeling ok, occassionally play tug with the others, but it only lasts a couple of minutes before he needs a lie down to lick his knee and paw

Gosh reading that mine play a lot!!!!

Cosmo and Tanog play together without toys, lots of lying around pawing each other and licking...Tango mounts Cosmo til he does a tipply over onto the floor...then he gets daft and does zoomies and she chases him. They are mental and you sort of have to get out of the way quickly. They are getting worse!!!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
We play with Cosmo a lot, with his tug toy. When out on a free run he wants something thrown most of the time...and if he doesn't want it thrown then he carries it...air kong balls and fetch sticks and wubbas are his favs when out. In the house he loves his tug ropes...he also loves his cuddly toys though, his strawberry is a fav (and is the reason we go to Crufts now as we can only get them there) and his mini cooper car!!! He carries them and occassionally plucks them but nothing too serious.
He adores his kong and stuffed sterile bones...and his dog pyramid and buster cube..but he only has them when we are not in!
When Tango arrived she had never played with a toy She would retrieve an airkong stick but that was it. She now instigates a game of tug with the rope with the others (but not us) and has also started to carry a cuddly round occassionally.
She also now has a treat ball and kong for when we are not in, which she loves and I watched her nick Cosmo's dog pyramid when I came in the other day and she played with it She shall be getting one of her own soon.

We stuff sterile bones with pasta for Biffters...he was always a one toy dog...a ball, but the vet banned them because of his joints
He will, if feeling ok, occassionally play tug with the others, but it only lasts a couple of minutes before he needs a lie down to lick his knee and paw

Gosh reading that mine play a lot!!!!

Cosmo and Tanog play together without toys, lots of lying around pawing each other and licking...Tango mounts Cosmo til he does a tipply over onto the floor...then he gets daft and does zoomies and she chases him. They are mental and you sort of have to get out of the way quickly. They are getting worse!!!!
Awwwww, that was a lovely post!!!

I play alot with Woody too. I always worry about him being an only child so I guess there's an advantage of having more than one.

When you say tug toy do you mean a Raggy? Rope thing? they shed like mad when Woody plays with them so they're a nightmare for everyday play!! He loves his Kong air ball though. We call it Wilson and he goes to find it when you ask him too and likes to jump up and catch it in the air. If he gest it we shout ''well done'' and he does victory laps of the living room. It's very funny!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Mo will pluck everything and everything to death
I do play tug with Mo but because she has trouble with her neck I keep the games short.
Her favourite toys are, squeeky grouse, squeeky dog and squeeky koala
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Awwwww, that was a lovely post!!!

I play alot with Woody too. I always worry about him being an only child so I guess there's an advantage of having more than one.

When you say tug toy do you mean a Raggy? Rope thing? they shed like mad when Woody plays with them so they're a nightmare for everyday play!! He loves his Kong air ball though. We call it Wilson and he goes to find it when you ask him too and likes to jump up and catch it in the air. If he gest it we shout ''well done'' and he does victory laps of the living room. It's very funny!
Bless him!!!!

Yes I mean like a rope toy. Cosmo isn't allowed his unattended though as he does tend to shred and eat them given half a chance and I'm worried one day it will get stuck!

I've not had one dog for well....about 12 and a half years!!! We had Biff for about a month before my oHs old dog (that lived with his parents) came to live with us...then when he died, we got Mo really quickly and have had 2+ since then so it's hard to comment on the only dog thing. I would say Cosmo is loving playing with Tango, as Biff can't play a lot, but at the same time, he was happy enough not playing with Biff (if you see what I mean) so I wouldn't worry too much about Woody being an only
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2009, 08:36 PM
When Hatti wants to play she starts off running in and out of rooms like she's possessed with one of my old trainers in her mouth (doesn't mind the sweaty smell of trainers!!)-she has lots of toys but her favourites are: yellow plastic ball with smiley face on it-latex squeaky bone and a latex pig. We do play with a tuggy rope but only for a short time as I'm bothered about her injuring the muscle in her back again
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2009, 10:05 PM

All of the above + playfighting with each other one on one and collectively, it can get pretty noisy at times.
I do play tuggy with all of them, again individually and collectively.
favourite toys tuggy, balls on ropes and boomer ball
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >