Our sister sites
Our sister sites
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:03 PM

Over protective?

Hi all,
Tonight our 7 month old Chihuahua snapped at my partner for giving me a peck on the cheek, the last thing I wanted was a snappy Chi. He's doing well at dog school very quick to learn but starting tonight he's been so "protective" over me for some reason, we walk him together ect so I don't favour ect. I made him stay on the floor for the rest of the evening as I was pretty shocked he's always been a friendly little dog towards people though not too friendly with other dogs but he's getting there. I'm still a bit shocked did I do the right thing by putting him onto the floor? I'm at a loss here help.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I think more info is needed. Where where you and your partner when this happened. Where was the dog and what was happening with the dog immediatly befoe this happened? Please describe more fully the chain of events that lead to this incident, and then itl beeasier to give help. Il help if I can.

SOunds interesting.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Was he on your lap?
Becky
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 11:25 AM
There might be more to it if its just happend
Was the pup on your knee and yous were leaning over it??

I would just work on making you pair smooching rewarding for the pup
Everyone sittiting as they were last time reward pup for being calm - nice treats or petting
OH moves a tiny bit towards you - reward pup before it gets stressed
Depends on concentration span of pup mibby move a wee bit more and reward - or give it a break for a while

Then in small steps build up to OH being able to move towards you and pup staying calm cos it knows a reward is coming

But I agree - I would try and figure out if there was any reason - was the pup alseep and startled, did it feel over crouded? was it more tired than usual? was it trying to protect you? was there pain?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Why was he not on the floor anyway?...

You may find if you let him on your knee and babify him that he will get over protective..treat him like a dog..give him boundaries and his own space..
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 12:09 PM
There's no problem with being loving and affectionate with your Chi. You just have to set boundaries, that's all. Obviously you don't want a "snapper" so I'd continue what you are doing. Whenever he acts inappropriately, just immediately put him on the floor and ignore for a little while (no point making it a long "time out" as such) as he'll forget what he's done.

If that doesn't work, Ben McF has given some good advice for you

Chis do tend to get a little protective of their chosen human but I'm sure it's nothing you can't moderate to an acceptable level
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I think a little more info of the circumstances are needed to. You need to figure out why he snapped as ben mcfuzzylugs said.

If he is being possessive/protective over you then this is not acceptable and you need to nip it in the bud. Putting him on the floor was the correct thing to do as it sends the message to him that snapping at your loved one is not acceptable and you will hug him whether he likes it or not.

If you do use treats to reward when he is being good, make sure your timing is good as you don't want to reward any tension on his part when you OH approaches.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks for all your comments,
There was nothing unusuall going on he wasn't crowded or anything and Rob often bends to give me a peck, the dog wasn't in pain Rob was sat on one sofa and me and Oscar on the other he got up ans as he went in the kitchen I got a peck on the cheek (nothing more) Oscar was in the middle of us he snapped I put him on the floor where I think from now on he will stay he has to know who the boss is.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Glad to hear you are leaving him on the floor..I am sure that will be a huge step in the right direction..if he isn't there (in the middle) then that situation can't arise
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2009, 04:46 PM
He seems happy on the floor but we have 3 sofas 2 in the room and one in the conservatory so he has all these choices, but we have both started as we mean to go on and it's no sofas in either room from now on. He has to realise he's down at the bottom and comes after us.