Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 11:26 AM

Meals for One.....

Well i'm now officially home alone for a week as OH is on a training exercise in Germany. Well i'm not completely alone as i have Monty of course who is currently asleep on my feet!

Anyway i love to cook but absolutely loathe cooking for one. I refuse to eat microwave meals so am looking for some nice simple meal idea's that are suitable for cooking just for one!

Oh and i have a bit of a weird thing about cooking one thing, splitting it into two and eating the other half a few days later! Never been able to do it for some reason!

Can anyone help please?!?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Jacket potato, chop and salad?
New potatoes, sliced ham, fried eggs?
Crusty bread, farmhouse cheddar, pickle, salad?
yum
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Tuna/veg pasta

Boil pasta

Make a cheese sauce, add tin of tuna and peas/sweetcorn and seasoning then add pasta to the sauce and mix through - have with salad and garlic bread and it only takes about 15 minutes to do. I sometimes use ham or salmon instead of tuna.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 08:30 PM
When I lived alone (well without a man) I always went for jacket Potatoes with scrummy fillings and salad

Pasta Bakes........easy to do
and the one I loved best was Pasta with Garlic butter.....having no man has it pluses

BLT (bacon lettece and tomatoe) rolls or beefburgers with a slice of cheese melting on top.....yummy
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Omlette.. Yummy, you can use up all your spare gubbins too
pasta, just boil the pasta and bung a garlic clove, a couple of soft tomatoes some basil and some olive oil in a pan and mash it up a bit
Porridge (lol I know, I have it for lunch in winter though ), with cinammon and banana mashed in and apple pieces fried in butter and honey with oats... Mmmmm!!
spinach and hollandaise sauce, takes minutes, really good for you and sooooo nice
eggy in a basket if you're not feeling so healthy, butter a slice of bread on both sides, cut a hole out of the middle and fry an egg in the hole, not incredibly filling but a nice quick snack!
failing that, scrambled egg and spaghetti on toast lol!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 08:45 PM
What about making a pot of chile and having it with rice one day and a jacket potato another, it also freezes well
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all the idea's guys, i expect i will live on a lot of pasta this week. I bought some pesto yesterday as well as i love the stuff with pasta.

Had also somehow forgotten about jacket spuds! Haven't had one of those for ages!

I really need to get used to cooking for one as Rich will be working away during the weeks from September onwards for 15 months and thats a whole lot of cooking for one!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Bean on crumb (beans on toast)
Beans on a jacket spud
Tomatoes on toast
Omelette
Salad
Egg and bacon
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Or spoil yourself and have a steak and jacket one day, a tuna or salmon steak another with a few new pots, and chop up a chicken breast and cook it in a curry sauce and add rice.

and best of all, no-one to share your big pot of ice cream