Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
06dcc.brigdenh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2009, 06:07 AM

The 'walky dog' bike attachment

Anyone here got one? They're brill! I suffer with mental health problems and haven't been out much for ages, saw one of these advertised and thought I'd have a go, because for ages I've been dreaming of having a dog scooter, which cost hundreds of pounds I can't afford. I actually think this is better, since a bike is a lot sturdier than the little wheels on a scooter. My dad and brother had a go at me saying it was a waste of money at £28 inc p&p, and that I would get pulled over, but this doesn't happen. My dog is an easily distracted 25kg lurcher who runs like the wind. All you feel is a slight resistance but the cord is elasticated and due to the momentum they can't stop or veer off suddenly. It's so much fun! And I'm getting exercise myself too...cant wait to go and do it again! Hopefully in a few months I will be down a few pounds...or stones!

I would deinfately recommend it.

Hopefully I will get some pics or a video of us using it for you.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2009, 07:10 AM
So pleased this is working out well for you honey.

Would love to see photos of you in action with your dog
06dcc.brigdenh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanx- went out again this morning. Went to a nearby park, about 2 miles away max. It was mostly downhill so quite easy. I never realised how much energy my dog has in her! She went rocketing away pulling me along down the hill. She wasn't even panting when we arrived! I was a bit though... Then we had a nice stroll round the field there, before getting a lift home (few...coz I'm not that fit yet). She still had energy to run around and play though, despite having already had a crazy mad dash round the garden before we went! Forget walking, I think we're running from now on. I'm going to have to have a couple days rest at some point though because my bum is killing me!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2009, 03:47 PM
That's the trouble with bikes - you do tend to get a bit saddle-sore
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2009, 06:38 PM
This is Rufus, ready to out on the bike, he absolutely loves it. We use a Springer.

Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Brilliant - love his coat - bless
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2009, 12:56 AM
I've recently started going out on the bike with the dogs and had wondered if such a contraption existed then I thought don't be silly they'd just pull me over and so I've stuck to places I know they can be off lead without problem.

Do they really work? What happens if they decide they want to go sniff a bush or something, don't they just pull you over?

Oh, and what if you have four dogs?
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by ajshep1984 View Post
I've recently started going out on the bike with the dogs and had wondered if such a contraption existed then I thought don't be silly they'd just pull me over and so I've stuck to places I know they can be off lead without problem.

Do they really work? What happens if they decide they want to go sniff a bush or something, don't they just pull you over?

Oh, and what if you have four dogs?
There are several different sorts of contraption available, the one I use can fit another Springer to the other side of the bike, (I wouldn't use it where there is traffic though, bridleways and the like would be ok), they are much safer than holding a lead in your hand and the spring device absorbs most of the energy. I have taken my two girls out together on the same side for the first time last week and they went really well, but I don't think I would take four. Mine wear harnesses but I still keep their collar and lead on held loosely in case they come adrift.

If you are on a hard surface keep an eye on their pads as they can become sore if you overdo it too soon, also I walk them for ten minutes before and after to give their muscles a chance to warm up and cool down.

My dogs really enjoy it! I would do some research and bear in mind how easy it is to put on and take off the bike if thats what you need.

Good luck and post some pictures if you get one!!
Fluffypawz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2009, 10:34 PM
That's brilliant stuff guys, what a joy to see people excerising their dogs well. Personally, due to my breed I prefer to have them run out in front but would chose this as an option for another non-sled dog type of exercise. Enjoy!
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2009, 06:40 PM
FluffyPawz a walky dog or a springer is a great way to teach Huskies turns and how to speed up etc etc

All 5 of ours train on these in the summer and they love it. I prefer the walky dog as you can detach it and use it as a lead.
Heres Digger on the walky dog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >