Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 08:41 PM

Are my Dogs Dim or just very patient?

my stepdaughters bought me Mary Rays' Dog Tricks book for mothers day so I thought I'd make a start.

To teach 'hide your face' she puts a piece of string over the dogs nose so that they put their paw up to pull it off.

Not my two - both of them just sat with it on their noses looking at me like 'now what...do I get my treat yet?'
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Awww bless, I think some of mine would do the same as they have all been taught patience and to wait when I put stupid things on them (like hats and glasses ).
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 08:44 PM
lol, they are just very trusting, I think they are thinking, if mum put it there then she must want it there for a reason,

try using a bit of sticky tape....if they just look at it as they did with the string, then try sticking it to the ear,

I find really cheap selotape is best, its not that sticky so it doesnt tear hair out..

On the plus side, you could do some niffty balancing tricks if they just sit still with stuff on there nose..x
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Awww bless, I think some of mine would do the same as they have all been taught patience and to wait when I put stupid things on them (like hats and glasses ).
thanks Random - that could well be part of the problem

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
lol, they are just very trusting, I think they are thinking, if mum put it there then she must want it there for a reason,

try using a bit of sticky tape....if they just look at it as they did with the string, then try sticking it to the ear,

I find really cheap selotape is best, its not that sticky so it doesnt tear hair out..

On the plus side, you could do some niffty balancing tricks if they just sit still with stuff on there nose..x
Thanks Shona, I'll try that. But I think you're right - well certainly with Hoki - OH taught her to balance a biscuit on her nose, so I guess if she's not going to move for a biscuit, she isn't going to bother about a bit of string.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Awwww god love em, I agree with Shona. They trust you there was a reason for the string being there

Beau doesn't sit still long enough to put the string there and Lula would just eat it
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Great book I've got that one!!!!

I know I go on about clickers sometimes...but truly the tricks in there can be taught so easily with a clicker. You can get them now with a volume control for sound sensitive dogs!

Bless'em they just want their treat....
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 10:03 PM
I'd just the same problem with Dale. My son gave me that book last year and we've had lots of fun working our way through it but he still can't do that one I've tried putting everything I can think of on his nose and he just sits there and looks at me. The closest I came to success was with bits of sticky labels, the sort you address envelops with on the the computer. If they naturally put their paws to their face you can click and shape it but Dale never does.
He'll sit with treats on his nose so maybe I've taught things the wrong way round
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Hope you have loads of fun trying
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Hope you have loads of fun trying
Thats it isn't it...the fun of trying it all, thats what we all love really
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Aww, yup I know the feeling

Your dogs are just too polite

I had the same problem with free shaping Ben - the free time bit in the book

If I have the clicker out he will just sit and wait and wait and wait for me to tell him what to do
1st I had to chuck treats and just click every little movment
Now I have taught 'go on do something' as a way to let him know that I am wanting him to try things

Mia on the other hand

You have treat she wants treat, she will do every trick she can think of that makes noise - and make it noiser, like she thumps into a sit and looks to see if you are looking, slams into a down - and looks at you, smacks her paw on you 'are you looking yet?? I am being good!!'
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >