Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 11:07 AM

Anyone got one of those Netbooks?

I'm thinking of getting one, I like the HP one, just wondered if any of you already have one and if it's any good please? Would I be able to get one with XP as opposed to Vista? Thanks.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-03-2009, 11:48 AM
I assume it's a Laptop type of thing, let me know if youget one Aitch 'cos I need a new Lappy at some time this year, why do they call it a 'Netbook' is it already connected for internet over the mobile network, that would be what I want definately.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi H, if you look on the Curry's website they have them coz I saw them in there yesterday. What I like about them is, the keyboard is as big as a normal desktop keyboard, which I had trouble finding with the laptops, coz being a typist, it has to have the right feel to be able to clack away fast, and these did the job much better than a laptop, especially the HP one. They are ONLY for the internet, you can't do anything else with them, i.e. no Word or anything in there, just purely t'internet, and where do I spend most of my time on the puter????

I bought an Acer laptop, but made the mistake of going for a big screen the 17" and it's too big and bulky to cart around, plus it can't keep up with my typing speed it goes haywire and drives me nuts, but I think the netbook which that lovely keyboard would cope?! I think they're fantastic for somebody who doesn't do much else on a puter but search on t'internet, but of course, that might not suit you?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
They are ONLY for the internet, you can't do anything else with them, i.e. no Word or anything in there, just purely t'internet, and where do I spend most of my time on the puter????
I think I would be shocked to see how much time I spend surfing too Will have a look at Currys site and maybe look at one in the flesh on my forthcomming trip. I like a full size keyboard too, not because I can type like a 'pro' but mainly 'cos my big thick fingers keep hiting two keys at once on the very small ones
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-03-2009, 05:39 PM
You can do more than surf on netbooks Depending on the type and spec you get you can do the normal stuff such as word and other things.

I looked at getting one a few months back but decided just to get a laptop as I felt I get more for my money.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 05:56 PM
So how do they differ from a laptop?
(der yes I know I'm thick )
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Not much in my opinion. They tend to be smaller and lighter, about 5"- 13" They tend to have less storage, memory and use cpu's made for netbooks. They often use solid state hard-drives and some lose the cd/dvd drives.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks Stormey
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Stormey - What's the full equipment needed for internet use while on the move, let's say I'm parked in my car on the M1 service area, do I connect via mobile phone ? what else is needed ? as you can tell I'm a bit out of touch
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Stormey - What's the full equipment needed for internet use while on the move, let's say I'm parked in my car on the M1 service area, do I connect via mobile phone ? what else is needed ? as you can tell I'm a bit out of touch
If your laptop has wireless built in you may need nothing if the service area is a 'hotspot', if its not got built in wireless you would need a wireless adaptor, either usb or pcmcia card(if the laptop has the slot).

If the service are is not a 'hotspot' you would likely need to go for a mobile broadband service that one of the mobile companys offer, they supply you with the usb 'dongle' needed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >