Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 08:06 AM

Woody the Widdler

Hello oh learned ones!

We need some advice about Woody, the 6.5 month English Springer Spaniel as he has started weeing on things.

He has a very nice big green bed that he goes in in the boot of the car. For as long as we've had it he has a ritual where he wrestles it for a bit, growling a little and then curls up asleep. Lately though (past 3 times) he wrestles, humps it then wees in it!! Lots of wee.

Also, we're trying to get him non-fussed about coming upstairs as eventually we'll be happy for him to, but every time he does he jumps on our bed and wees on it. OK, not EVERY TIME, but twice for no real reason. The last time he was lying on it playing with a toy then after about 20 minutes he stood up and weed.

Is this a boy growing up behaviour thing? If so, what can we do about it?

I've suggested for the next few weeks making him sit in his bed to get any toys, treats and eat his meals, just so he knows it's a place for eating and fun, not weeing. Will this work?

Advice appreciated,

Love Pidge and Woody the Widdler x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Hi Pidge when puppies reach adolescence they have a hormone surge, bitches have a season, dogs frequently begin to cock their leg at this time. Dog puppies may also start to 'scent mark' with urine .

I've suggested for the next few weeks making him sit in his bed to get any toys, treats and eat his meals, just so he knows it's a place for eating and fun, not weeing. Will this work?
I doubt it. Scent marking is normal behaviour. Make sure he goes out frequently so is 'empty' when in the house and thoroughly clean the scent marked areas. .
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 08:45 AM
So nothing we can do about it?
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Sorry to hear about your problem . I've never had a male dog so can't offer any good advice !
I would remove his nice green bed and put a more easier to wash fleece blanket in the car , also restrict where he goes in the house and not up on the bed at all .
Hope you get this problem sorted soon . xx
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 10:20 AM
The problem is that he will smell where he has piddled and then piddle there again.I would think about what his bedding is for a while and make sure it can be washed easily.If a plastic bed then make sure it is cleaned with something that takes the scent away. We used to use "Simple Solution" sold in most pet shops when Fudge was training but I know there are other things which might be cheaper(I'm sure others will say).

I've no advise on the behavioural side as we have a bitch and so not had these issues.Good luck though.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Just wishing you luck hun in solving the problem, sorry have no advice as I've nearly always had bitches and fortunately, not had the problem with Bruce.

Just a thought could it be the excitment, as you say humping and playing with the toys.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the world of unneutered boys, Pidgey

It's what they do, I'm afraid. I always correct Bailey, as in say "no" and put him in the garden but, I have to say, he doesn't do bucket loads of wee like Woody, just a spray, as he is scenting. He also did wee on my bed once and has since lost his privilege to EVER go near my bed again. We have a massive duvet and I couldn't fit it in the washing machine, so dumped it (costing £70 for another duvet ).

Can't really elaborate on what has been said already, just clean well with something quite strongly scented (I use Zoflora disinfectant, as it is very flowery). He doesn't tend to go back to the same spot afterwards.

Bailey only does this when one of my girls are in season.

Good luck. It's all perfectly normal but a bit annoying, I know Boys, eh
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Welcome to the world of unneutered boys, Pidgey

It's what they do, I'm afraid. I always correct Bailey, as in say "no" and put him in the garden but, I have to say, he doesn't do bucket loads of wee like Woody, just a spray, as he is scenting. He also did wee on my bed once and has since lost his privilege to EVER go near my bed again. We have a massive duvet and I couldn't fit it in the washing machine, so dumped it (costing £70 for another duvet ).

Can't really elaborate on what has been said already, just clean well with something quite strongly scented (I use Zoflora disinfectant, as it is very flowery). He doesn't tend to go back to the same spot afterwards.

Bailey only does this when one of my girls are in season.

Good luck. It's all perfectly normal but a bit annoying, I know Boys, eh
Sorry I don't think it is perfectly normal for an unneutered male to pee on it's owner's bed! I have never, ever had a dog do that and I have owned several unneutered males.

I would say that he is getting excited on a full bladder and having accidents. The fact that he stops suddenly and pees suggests it isn't scent marking but an 'accident'.

If you want him to go upstairs always ensure he has an empty bladder and make sure now that there is no way your bed can smell of his urine...or he will be tempted to scent mark it.

As for in the car...same thing, don't tlet him in it until his bladder is empty. It isn't good for him to be humping the bedding and in all honesty I would tell him no and remove it. Humping is an absloute no go activity in our house, as soon as you allow them to do it they will do it more and more often. If you adopt a zero tolerance approach now it will stand you in good stead. If you decide to have him neutered...the humping activity won't necessarily stop as a result as it can very much become a learned behaviour.

So........my advice (and that's all it is others may have other ideas) would be to:
1) Only let him in the car or on your bed when his bladder is totally empty.
2) Thoroughly clean his bed and yours so there is no trace of a urine smell for him.
3) Discourage humping immediately..don't let him away with it at all or it will become a learned behaviour and you will have trouble with it, even if he is then neutered.

Hope this helps a bit.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Sorry I don't think it is perfectly normal for an unneutered male to pee on it's owner's bed! I have never, ever had a dog do that and I have owned several unneutered males.

I would say that he is getting excited on a full bladder and having accidents. The fact that he stops suddenly and pees suggests it isn't scent marking but an 'accident'.

If you want him to go upstairs always ensure he has an empty bladder and make sure now that there is no way your bed can smell of his urine...or he will be tempted to scent mark it.

As for in the car...same thing, don't tlet him in it until his bladder is empty. It isn't good for him to be humping the bedding and in all honesty I would tell him no and remove it. Humping is an absloute no go activity in our house, as soon as you allow them to do it they will do it more and more often. If you adopt a zero tolerance approach now it will stand you in good stead. If you decide to have him neutered...the humping activity won't necessarily stop as a result as it can very much become a learned behaviour.

So........my advice (and that's all it is others may have other ideas) would be to:
1) Only let him in the car or on your bed when his bladder is totally empty.
2) Thoroughly clean his bed and yours so there is no trace of a urine smell for him.
3) Discourage humping immediately..don't let him away with it at all or it will become a learned behaviour and you will have trouble with it, even if he is then neutered.

Hope this helps a bit.

Well, as I said Ramble, Bailey doesn't exactly do a full wee, just a spray. I've heard of other male owners who've had the same trouble on occasion. Personally, I'm not one to allow dogs near my beds. I think it highly unhygienic. I don't actually allow mine upstairs at all but, whereas, it wasn't a big deal if one did sneak up, with Bailey it's a definite NO NO!!!!

You needn't be shocked Ramble, as your post suggests with all the images. It's a pee, not a massive deal. Part of having dogs. They do something, you correct or you make sure they are not able to do it again.

So there you go Pidgey, you and I have ABNORMAL dogs, cos Woody pee'd on your bed and Bailey sprayed mine (remembering he was in a house with 5 unspayed bitches at the time)

You have every right Ramble to give whatever advice you like but it's rather annoying that you rip someone elses post apart in order to give your very own view
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Again - I have an entire dog (6 years now) also an entire bitch.

It sounds to me like more of a possesive behaviour - there is a lady who comes to my classes with a BC bitch - and if she is allowed near her owners bed she will pee on it.

She also used to pee on all the dog beds.

We got her out of that by feeding her on them.

RE - the entire dog thing - I am not a fan of telling them off - they will just start to do it when you are not looking. Instread - watch for the common places....corners/furniture etc and if he goes towards one of those get him out and command him to 'Hurry up' (or whatever you say !)

If you cannot watch him in the house - confine him with something to do (bone/Kong etc) to help get him out of the habit.

Good luck - hope this helps

ETA - just finished reading properly - and would agree with Ramble - if you are seeing a large amount and at exciting times then I expect it is more a lack of control thing. I had a springer that came to me for training - he couldn;t go in the house becasue everytime he started to play or someone stroked him he would wee. When he came to me I spent 2 weeks not touching him and really reinforceed the self control - lying down for 5-15 seconds before he did anything - went through doors/jumped in or out of the car etc - by the 3rd week he was great and now lives happily in the house. If he has been alone for any length of time they make sure that they greet him outside but keep it low key - just in case.

CC - Sorry if this contradicts your advice - but people should know that this is not something they have to accept - it can be sorted and is not nescercarily the norm.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >